Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wedding videos for cash

Default wedding videos for cash

A way to make some good money on the weekend would be to advertise myself as a wedding videographer.

A couple of issues I am thinking about.

How much cash (tax free) should I expect to charge for a full day's work and nicely edited DVD?

How can I guarantee payment when the DVD is handed over?
    Last edited by Magical Rat; 04-24-2006 at 10:36 PM.

Blog Entries

Wedding videography is a skilled profession and certainly shouldn't be treated as a way to make few quid. I would suggest you take a look at this article:

http://www.bride-and-groom.co.uk/art...2_articleid/15

nobody around here is going to pay a grand for a video.

I read your article before.

Blog Entries

Around where?

Prices are commensurate with the quality craftsmanship of the product, in this case a video. I certainly wouldn't film and edit a wedding video for less than 1,000 - anything less and I would lose money.

People can and do spend this amount of money (and a lot more) on a wedding video if they think the end product will provide a lasting memory. I've seen some truly stunning wedding videos, and sadly some extremely poor ones too.

Ask yourself what kind of video would you be making? How long have you been filming and if you own a stills camera, why haven't you also thought about wedding photography? Just because you have a camcorder, doesn't mean you can shoot weddings...

Blog Entries

I agree. I was recently offered cash to do a wedding for a friend, I said I would do it for free because I couldnt be sure it would be very good as it is a new thing to me.

You only get one chance for many of the shots, then there is the sound, and you have to smart and inconspicuous, and excruciatingly polite and ingrciating perhaps, all talents I lack in droves !

I also have some raw footage on some tapes I got for free with a have a go wedding vidder. The footage is truly awfull.

Offer to do one for free maybe, or on approval, and see how you go. Many wedding vids I have seen are as well produced as more pricey corperate stuff.

I would do a good enough job for 200 pounds because I have talent. I figure if they like the DVD they can pay for it, and if not then I will think twice the next time.

Blog Entries

Sounds a good way to start out.

Blog Entries

Here's some costs you may want to look at

5 x Panasonic 63min Tapes: 30
    5 x Blank DVD, Printing, finishing plus presentation box: 5 (approx)
    Music Licence: 60
    Petrol and parking: 10 (approx. average)
    Insurance: 20 (average, assuming you'll be doing more than one wedding)
    Donation to church: your discretion
    Food: 10

Total: 135

So that leaves you with 65. During that day you will work approx 8 hours, so that's 8 per hour. However, you'll also need to edit, encode and present the DVD. So lets say another 20 hours for the sake of argument. So that's 28 hours work for 65, or 2.31 per hour. That's less than half the minimum wage.

I'm trying to highlight here that being a wedding videographer is not about making some quick cash. It's bloody hard work and there's some bloody talented people who've been in the business for a long time.

Blog Entries

Maybe doing them cheap as you learn will help you to build up a protfolio, learn more skills and get known. Film making is all hard work and no quick buck as marc says.
    Last edited by Mark W; 04-25-2006 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magical Rat
    I would do a good enough job for 200 pounds because I have talent. I figure if they like the DVD they can pay for it, and if not then I will think twice the next time.
    This is a fallacy I'm afraid. I don't know you so I'll simply take you at your word about your talent level. My point is that you cannot make a wedding video for 200 in the UK without doing so at a loss.
    Look at Marc's breakdown of costs. I suggest those costs are on the conservative side. You should also factor in the equipment you intend to use. What equipment do you have by the way. How many cameras, you'll need at least two. What type of steadicam (or equivalent) equipment do you have. You will need one. What microphones do you use. you'llneed both shotgun and radio microphones. Likely two of each for a decent job. you'll certainly need a very good tripod. A wedding video will typically need some of thoise cheesey animations in it as transitions etc. they are cheesey but they are expected. A setof these can cost hundreds of pounds.

If you think that taking up 20 hours (plus) of your time is worth an income of the order of 50 then by all means go for it. Of course, if you do then you are belittling yourself and peopel will see that. Whether they think about ot consiously is another matter though. but most people certainly appreciate that you get what you pay for. It is simply far too cheap to assume you are getting quality. Put it this way. If someone offered you a brand new car for only 2000, say, would you assume you was getting a Reliant Robin or a Rolls Royce?

200 is just about covering costs and would just about include beer money for the evening.

Plus, if you thingk that startiung cheap and then raising your costs when you gain experience is a good idea. It isn't. If you charge your first at 200 then they all will need to be.

Respectfully, you should rethink your strategy.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast