I hadn't done any video editing since I last formatted and the other day I had to upgrade to XP PRO from Home because I needed IIS. What relevance this has I don't know, just providing some background info because of the severity and obscurity of what is happening with my video editing.

My PC:

Intel P4 3200 @ 3800mhz
ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
1024MB RAM
XP PRO
ASUS P4P800 Deluxe

The Problem:

Working with WMV: Works fine (just for illustrational purposes, may have some relevance - who knows)

Working with any type of .AVI encoding: Doesn't work (except for in VirtualDub)

I can watch the said file on any of my media players no problems.
If I import the file into Adobe Premiere OR Vegas 4, the file is blank - previews as black.

If for example I import a wmv file (which work fine) and render it as an AVI in either Adobe or Vegas, the output file is black with audio.

However I can import and render avi's fine using VirtualDub (this programs works 100%)

Attempted Fixes:

I have uninstalled and re-installed Adobe PRemiere twice and also tried an old version I have. This made no difference and the problem still occured.

I have uninstalled and re-installed Vegas and this doesn't work either.

I have uninstalled all Codecs listed in add/remove programs yet all my Xvid and Divx etc file still play (after reboot even).

Note: Originally only BS player could play any avi I encoded using the only program that I could (virtualdub) but since isntalling a "Total DivX pack" all my players can now playback these files. However, the importing and encoding problems are still present in All adobe versions and Vegas.

I have tried to manually remove codecs via device manager but the second I close device manager they re-appear in the list. I have also tried removing them and rebooting, still they re-appear.

In device manager I have 56 codecs. (Dunno if that bit of info is any sue to you :/)

I installed (using same CD's) the same applications on my dad's computer and everything works fine over there. :o

Anybody have a clue what is going on and how to fix it?

I can't keep asking him to drop what hes doing so I can carry on with my project.