Thread: Converting Home Videos to DVD's......is it worth it?

Default Converting Home Videos to DVD's......is it worth it?

When I started getting into creating and editing videos the other year my dad was excited cause he always wanted to convert all of our Family VHS Home Videos to DVD. My first question is....is it even worth? With technology moving so fast 10-20 years from now DVD's will probably be a thing of the past. You would end up converting to a new medium constintly. And people have always been asking me what I think about putting family videos to dvd...and usually I tell them that its better to keep them on a VHS tape. When I picture a dvd and a vhs sitting in an attic for 50 years through heat and cold and whatever....i dont see the dvd coming out as a victor. For archive purposes I would assume that VHS would be the way to go.

But I'm just asking for your opinion.....If i do convert our family vhs its gonna take a good long time (15+ videos) so I just want to be sure its worth it before i sign my summer away to this project.

Blog Entries

My opinion is that it will be easier to convert the MPEG from the DVD to something new, rather than go from the source VHS format.

But if the DVD get ruined then it sucks. Ive always hated cds and dvd's cause there is absolutly no protection. Ive had dvds that i've never even watched before and keep in a case be all scratched up.

Blog Entries

It's a gamble you take. If you think you'll have easy access to a VHS in 5+ years, then wait. Personally, I would backup to DVD and keep the originals.

I'll bet my money on the DVD. No mechanical elements seems more future-proof to me.
    However obsolete the DVD will be in 5 or 10 years from now, just think that VHS is already obsolete right now... so yes, you will be constantly archiving to newer, better formats, it's the way technology goes.

Blog Entries

Yea, DVD for sure. When dvd r came out people were suspicious of the longevity of the dics, that appears to have not been an issue.

I suspect the cd size disc will be with us for some time and that most newer format players will be compatible as they generally have been to date.

The issue for me is the time it takes, unless you have a dvd recorder unit.

Why not back em up to dvd and also keep the tapes safe? Then all the bases are covered.

You could convert the VHS to mpeg and keep them directly on your computer's media drive or something. I've got a spare 120 GB that I use specifically to store media I want to keep around.

ya all good points

why use mpg to store the video? Just simply cause of space? And if i burn from mpg to DVD how bad will the quality be?

And what is the best way (both simpliest and assures good quality) for put my vhs on my computer. Is it just as the same as going through my dv camcorder as any other way?

Blog Entries

DVDs are encoded with MPEG2. If you encode your video to DVD compliant MPEG2, you'll get the exact same quality on the DVD as you would on the PC.

Using your DV camera as a capture device is probably the cheapest solution and just as good as any other option. Your video will be captured as DV AVI on your PC. However, seeing as you're concerned about the lifetime of DVDs, and your source format is VHS, why not encode to MPEG4? This will:

a) take up less space than MPEG2, meaning you can store a lot more footage on any given media
    b) will be playable on any PC with the correct codec
    c) more and more standalone DVD players have the capability to playback MPEG4 (and this trend is set to contunue)
    d) it sounds like you don't plan to edit, and this is an ideal delivery format

Another option would be to records those VHS videos onto MiniDV tape via your camcorder's analog in ports (if possible). MiniDV tapes are most likely more durable than VHS and definitely more future-proof.