Thread: What capture card?

Default What capture card?

Hi all,

i am seeking a capture card for video capturing and editing. What do recommend? I was looking at something like Matrox Rt2500 or Rtx100!!! What do you think?

Another thing....does the pc performance change the quality of the final encoded dvd project or a low performace pc still does the job with the difference that it takes forever to do it?? Or else the quality of the capture card is what matters most? Can anyone please shed some light on this because i am very confused as what to do.

Thanks in advance

Blog Entries

The RTX100's primary function is to provide realtime editing of Standard Definition video. Until recently applying effects to video would require a lengthy wait for the effects to render before you could preview, and this was where the RTX100 came in. However, a modern PC running software such as Adobe Premiere 1.5 or above will provide real time previews of effects with this hardware acceleration.

So the only real benefit of the card really becomes analague capture. If you've got a decent PC running recent software and don't need analogue capture, then you don't need something like an RTX100.

Thanks for your reply. My source is an analogue signal hence why I need such a capture card. Do you think the Rtx100 will do the job or an Analogue to Digital video converter such as the DAC-100 (by Datavideo) is fine and cheaper? Any quality difference? thanks again

Blog Entries

I'm not familiar with the DAC-100. However, if it's specifically the analogue capture you're after, then the Canopus ADVC series might be a better investment.