Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New forum software

Blog Entries

Default New forum software

9:30 am and I haven't slept yet. Been trying to get the forum up and running as soon as possible. Hopefully there won't be too many teething problems during the transition.

Blog Entries

Just logged on, so far I like it. Looks better somehow.

Smile

Looks cleaner, works faster.

vbulletin is a much better forum than phpBB. Good choice!

(confused the hell out of me at first though)

Erm... how do I get an avatar? I can't disable the "Don't use an avatar" option.

Smile New Forum Software

Can I chip in my first impressions?

Bewildering at first, I donít find this an intuitive layout. Itís probably just my waning powers of perception, but us oldies deserve a thought!

Then it hit me Ė thereís so much empty space Ė such a small font means much of the page is blank. A chunk of small text spread across such a wide s-t-r-e-t-c-h isnít inviting.

Is this final, or are there more tweaks to come? Will the Ďreadí bits be made distinct from the Ďunreadí bits? I struggle with following a thread, Ďcause itís not apparent where Iíve been, and where Iím going (ok, itís my age again).

I should add that web layout is one of my pet dislikes, so maybe Iím just being crotchety. Web design often ignores the ancient Greeksí knowledge of prime areas within a rectangle, and how the eye is drawn across pleasantly or otherwise, depending on what and where items are placed.

Quote Originally Posted by tone33
    Will the ‘read’ bits be made distinct from the ‘unread’ bits? I struggle with following a thread, ‘cause it’s not apparent where I’ve been, and where I’m going (ok, it’s my age again).
    Happened to me too.

And also the member titles don't display correctly.

Blog Entries

As the saying goes, "you can't please all of the people all of the time".

With regard to the size of the text, I use a Content Management System (CMS) called Subdreamer, and took the opportunity to change to a fully integrated skin with the change in software. This gave the forum a look and feel almost exactly like the reviews section. However, I have now deleted the Cascading Style Sheet (CSS) which was common to the CMS to ensure that the CSS used by the forum software isn't overwritten by the forum wrapper. I hope this suites the majority. Given that I want to keep a uniform design accross tyhe site, this means I will have to alter the CSS of the CMS too.

I have changed a setting within the active users group which was preventing custom avatars from being uploaded. You should now be able to upload your own avatar to the board. Mihai, I have done this for you already.

I fixed the default forum member titles this morning. Please note that although I have spent time getting to know the forum software before go live, I am not as up to scratch as I was with phpBB. As such adding back the custom titles will take a little bit longer and is not at the top of the priority list.

Unfortunately conversion from one software to another is never perfect and you will notice thinsg a little out of place. Howvere, the board offers so much more functionality out of the box, and you will all benefit in the long run from my investment in the forum.

I will try and fix anything that is brought to my attention as soon as possible, but for now I'm going to take a break and edit some video .

9. Default

IMHO I like it. One of the things that hit me with the old forum is that the posts seem to run into each other. Couldn't tell where one post left off an the next began.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    You should now be able to upload your own avatar to the board. Mihai, I have done this for you already.
    Thanks a lot. Now if we can sort the title thing out, I'm happy.
    And I've figured out the moderation module too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast