Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: avi troubles

Default avi troubles

first off, im a moron. ive tried my best and apparently i suck at video editing. ill try to lay out everything i know so that i might get a good answer. okay what i want to do is just convert a bunch of avi's (70+ show episodes) to wmv or mpg. this is because i want to edit them and arrange them into a dvd. i have sony vegas and dvd architect on trial and want to do this before it runs out.

here's a list of things ive tried:
    -vegas: will read the avi audio but no video
    -windows movie maker: says i have the wrong codec

so that is why i am trying to convert my avi's to wmv or mpg with these programs:
    -blaze media: does video, but no audio
    -windows media encoder: video and very skippy audio
    -river past video cleaner: codec issues and audio left out and complicated
    -xilisoft: just screwed up

since i realize that the problem might be my codecs, heres a list of those as well:
    video:
    Avid AVI Codec Version 2.0d2 for Windows NT
    CineForm VFW CODEC
    Cinepak® Codec;1.10.0.6;Radius Inc.
    Sony Digital Video;R.5.10.15.2.55
    Intel Indeo R3.1;1.10.0.6
    Intel Indeo R3.2;1.10.0.6
    Intel Indeo® Video 4.5
    Intel Indeo® video 5.10
    Intel Indeo(R) Video YUV Codec
    Microsoft H.261 ICM Driver
    Microsoft H.263 ICM Driver
    Microsoft MPEG-4 VKI Codec
    Microsoft RLE Compressor
    Microsoft Video 1 Compressor
    Microsoft UYVY Video Decompressor
    Windows Media Video 9 VCM
    Toshiba Video Codec
    audio:
    PCM
    Microsoft ADPCM
    CCITT A-Law
    CCITT u-Law
    IMA ADPCM
    DSP Group TrueSpeech(TM)
    GSM 6.10
    Microsoft G.723.1
    MPEG Layer-3
    ACELP.net
    Windows Media Audio V1
    Windows Media Audio V2
    IAC2

there are a bunch of directshow and directx i didnt feel like typing as well. i got this information using avicodec, to check to see what the files i have needed, and it says they are supported. which is true, because i can play them, i just havent been able to convert them correctly. understand that i dont want to resize or increase or decrease framerate or anything, i just want to convert file types and its taking way too long to figure this out. if someone knows of a good program with a nice guide or instructions for retards, let me know. i dont care what program does the job as long as it doesnt kill my comp. i have about 20 gigs wasting away storing these shows so i would like to clear it up a bit and burn off some data. i really need help.

p.s. i would really like to get a prgoram like blaze media to work, since i could just tell it to convert all the files and let my comp work for a few days.

update: i somehow managed to get windows media encoder to work, but i hate it. is there some way to make it faster or do a mass conversion? thanks.

Blog Entries

Sounds like your tv shows might be xvid. The codec isnt listed so that is why m player wont play em.

Sorry to say this but if they are xvid vegas wont load em, it's about the only codec vegas doesnt like.

I suggest turning them into high bit rate divx (to avoid quality loss) then editing them.

I dont think you can do much with the trial version, I think project lengh or saving is limited.

Sorry to be not that helpfull....

Default so now what?

so what program/s should i use to convert? dont worry about my editing, i just want these files out of avi, since nothing can use it. what codecs will i need? if you have a program that will do an analysis on the file type or something i can run to help you help me then let me know.

Blog Entries

A freebie called g spot can tell you all about a video file, google it.

Virtualdub is a freebie that will do the converting, I think it is okay with xvids if they are xvids but you will need the codec, again google.

A good player that claims to play anything regardless of codec is VLC media player, also free.

finally! g spot gave me the right file id and the codecs i needed. wish i had that from the start, would have saved a lot of time. odd name though, made searching for it kind of difficult. Virtual dub will only convert to avi, and i want wmv. but i found a program on my computer while searching my program files. i have so many unused programs that either came with my comp or i downloaded and forgot. its WinAVI, and works just like i want, with batch convert and its pretty fast as well. thanks for the help. if i have anymore questions, i know where to ask now.

Default more help

okay, this converting is taking far too long. the converting takes about 50 mins a file and i still have 70 something to go. i dont care about editing the files anymore, i just want them on a dvd. is there a good program that you can use to create a dvd with menu and burn divx files all in dvd format? i want the files to play in any dvd player so thats the type of dvd i need. and dont worry if the program's free or not. if i can get a trial that works like i want, ill buy it because i now know that its money well spent.

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

Nope.. there is no program that will put your DivX compressed avi videos on DVD without doing the slow conversion process first. DivX is not compatible with DVD players, DVD players require MPEG compressed video.

DivX on CD may be compatible with a few DVD players.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

Hi,
    If you want to convert AVI to MPG ... use Mainconcept Main
    Actor 5.5 editing software or MainConcept MPEG codec..
    it was really very fast and good one....
    regards...
    Pravin

Quote Originally Posted by blyx
    first off, im a moron. ive tried my best and apparently i suck at video editing. ill try to lay out everything i know so that i might get a good answer. okay what i want to do is just convert a bunch of avi's (70+ show episodes) to wmv or mpg. this is because i want to edit them and arrange them into a dvd. i have sony vegas and dvd architect on trial and want to do this before it runs out.

here's a list of things ive tried:
    -vegas: will read the avi audio but no video
    -windows movie maker: says i have the wrong codec

so that is why i am trying to convert my avi's to wmv or mpg with these programs:
    -blaze media: does video, but no audio
    -windows media encoder: video and very skippy audio
    -river past video cleaner: codec issues and audio left out and complicated
    -xilisoft: just screwed up

since i realize that the problem might be my codecs, heres a list of those as well:
    video:
    Avid AVI Codec Version 2.0d2 for Windows NT
    CineForm VFW CODEC
    Cinepak® Codec;1.10.0.6;Radius Inc.
    Sony Digital Video;R.5.10.15.2.55
    Intel Indeo R3.1;1.10.0.6
    Intel Indeo R3.2;1.10.0.6
    Intel Indeo® Video 4.5
    Intel Indeo® video 5.10
    Intel Indeo(R) Video YUV Codec
    Microsoft H.261 ICM Driver
    Microsoft H.263 ICM Driver
    Microsoft RLE Compressor
    Microsoft Video 1 Compressor
    Windows Media Video 9 VCM
    Toshiba Video Codec
    audio:
    PCM
    Microsoft ADPCM
    CCITT A-Law
    CCITT u-Law
    IMA ADPCM
    DSP Group TrueSpeech(TM)
    GSM 6.10
    Microsoft G.723.1
    MPEG Layer-3
    ACELP.net
    Windows Media Audio V1
    Windows Media Audio V2
    IAC2

there are a bunch of directshow and directx i didnt feel like typing as well. i got this information using avicodec, to check to see what the files i have needed, and it says they are supported. which is true, because i can play them, i just havent been able to convert them correctly. understand that i dont want to resize or increase or decrease framerate or anything, i just want to convert file types and its taking way too long to figure this out. if someone knows of a good program with a nice guide or instructions for retards, let me know. i dont care what program does the job as long as it doesnt kill my comp. i have about 20 gigs wasting away storing these shows so i would like to clear it up a bit and burn off some data. i really need help.

p.s. i would really like to get a prgoram like blaze media to work, since i could just tell it to convert all the files and let my comp work for a few days.

update: i somehow managed to get windows media encoder to work, but i hate it. is there some way to make it faster or do a mass conversion? thanks.

Default k

alright ill try that one then. anything to speed this mess up. what a killjoy this little project has been.

Do you have to havea firewire connection?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast