Thread: best software that is NOT Premiere 6.0

Default best software that is NOT Premiere 6.0

Hi,

I have Premiere 6.0 and I'm finding it a pain to use for two main reasons.
    Firstly, the need to build a preview of every little change I make to a project which takes forever with a long clip.

Secondly, it seems almost impossible to be able to display two clips (multi-cam) in smaller boxes at the same time, sync rolled, so I can easily see which ones to cut to and from.

A friend of mine has a dirt cheap software package that does away with all the rendering time for small things like transitions, etc and makes it easy to display a couple of video channels together. If that can do it, surely there must be a piece of good high quality software on the market that can do the same thing. I don't really want to have to download loads of trials to find the one that fits the bill so if anyone has any suggestions I'd be happy to try them out.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

To do what you're asking is in part due to the specs of your machine. What are your PCs vital statistics?

P4 640 3.2ghz , 1mb RAM, 128mb Radeon X300-SE PCI Express video card, 2x SATA HD (one for programs and the other for video storage and source editing material). Considering the Adobe software I'm running was released in about 2001, I would think my PC has more than enough power to run it efficiently. But if I want to edit say, a 60min piece that I've recorded from a TV Capture card, then I'm waiting 60 mins for it to render before I can do anything else with it!

I figure there must be something decent out there that can do away with the constant rendering.

Blog Entries

My personal recommendation would be either Pure Motion Edit Studio 5 or Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0

Thanks - I'll look into both.

Out of interest - am I using Premiere right? If I open an mpg file that's been created by my tv card, it's impossible to do anything with it as it's way to jerky and unstable, until I hit Enter and render it. Because this happens in real time, a 60min programme becomes a real pain.

Once rendered the file is then fine to use. If I drag the ends in to shorten it, I'm fine but if I go too far and drag it back a bit, then I have to render what's left again! And heaven forbid I should take out the razor and split the clip and delete say a commercial from the middle. I then have to render everything that's left! The software can't be THAT clunky to use surely? It must be me.

Blog Entries

Premiere doesn't support MPEG editing. This is due to the compression technique used by the codec (in this case MPEG) which makes frame accurate editing very hard. If you want to edit MPEG (simply cut out bits etc) take a look at videoredo.

Aha! Many thanks - and for the quick reply too.

Cheers.