Thread: 8mm Camcorder Tapes How to Find a Player???

Default 8mm Camcorder Tapes How to Find a Player???

I have some old (about 5 years) 8mm tapes that I used to record on my old minolta 8mm camcorder. I have upgraded to mini dv as my Minolta stopped working. I am now faced with How do I transfer my 8mm tapes onto dvd. So I bought an 8mm Samsung camcorder for this purpose. However, this does not play my old tapes - no picture, no sound, nothing.

Can anyone explain how to rectify my dilemma PLEASE!!!!!

Hi,

I sympathise with you, I've been looking for a Video 8/Hi 8 taperewinder for the past two months as I have a collection of old video 8 and Hi 8 tapes from the mid 1990's and needed to get them transferred onto either DVD or computer. I had to give up looking as no one has one. I just used the camera (strange how your Samsung won't play them back - is it a new camera? If it is, I would take it back to the shop and tell them about it). Are your tapes Hi 8 or Video 8, if they are Hi 8 and the camera is Video 8 then maybe it won't play them back. I remember there was some kind of playback problem with either Hi 8/Video 8 or maybe it was between VHS and SVHS, maybe someone can set us straight on it. Anyway, I advertised my Canon V75Hi in a second hand magazine and a guy wants to buy it from me, he just now has to turn up with the moola.

Hello,

I've been doing this a bit lately too!

As there is no VHS/8MM adaptor in existance (beccause the tapes record and play back at different speeds etc) your best option is to purchase a second-hand 8mm camera and transfer them onto your pc from that (you'll need a capture card somewhere along the line to transfer analogue signals that your 8MM camera uses to digital ones your computer understands.

Going one better, your best bet is to find a Digital8 camera and transfer them onto your pc using it's firewire port - that's what I did. It works a treat.

I bought my second-hand digital8 camera from ebay for about 90, and even though I'll only use it for transfering my old footage to DVD's, when you think about the memories etc you'll be keeping - it's money well spent!

Good luck

eBay is your friend.

I wish I could agree, ebay got a bit of a bashing recently from a programme broadcast in the UK and Ireland called 'Watchdog'. I won't repeat what was said but it wasn't positive, especially regarding paypal.

Default Sony 8mm Camcorder

I have a Sony 8mm Camcorder EV-S700AS PAL for sale if anyone is interested. I'm not sure what it's worth, but it's in good working order and could be invaluable for anyone wishing to transfer 8mm tapes to DVD. I also have spare tapes.

Default Jody K i am interested 8mm video

hi yes how much and shipping or where to pickup i am in usa nj near Philadelphia

AL

Hi Jody -

I'm interested in your 8mm camcorder - How does AUST$100 sound??

Keith I

Quote Originally Posted by Jody K View Post
    I have a Sony 8mm Camcorder EV-S700AS PAL for sale if anyone is interested. I'm not sure what it's worth, but it's in good working order and could be invaluable for anyone wishing to transfer 8mm tapes to DVD. I also have spare tapes.

Smile

Hi could you tell me if you still have your camcorder. Thanks

FWIW - here in UK, SVHS tapes will only play in an SVHS m/c whether camcorder or player. VHS will play only if there is a switch. However, consumer VHS m/c rarely have any SVHS capability as it needs better heads, amplifiers, etc, which adds to cost.

Many folk complain about those VHS-C adaptors, but mine has been no trouble after 30 years lying idle, when I managed to buy an SVHS m/c to transfer old family tapes recorded on SVHS camcorder, long since dead.

For the above remember the UK uses PAL and 50Hz

Despite the price and best quality at the time, my HD 1080 50i stills camera (in movie mode) is streets ahead and you don't get that red-blur so common with VHS.