Thread: DVD-R Camcorder

Default DVD-R Camcorder

I have a client that is wanting some video edited that was shot from a straight to DVD-r camcorder. This is the first time I have worked with these 1.4gb disks. I can't get these disks to read at all. Doesn't play on the DVD player nor is the data listed when in the computer. Almost like there isn't any data on the disks at all.

Do these dvd-r camcorders use some type of encoding that is only playable from the camera itself? I will speak with the client tomorrow and see if they have any issues with playing these videos with their camera. Any information anyone has is appreciated.
    Sony DCR_TRV240- Digital 8
    Dell 4600 P4 3GHz, 1GB RAM
    Nvidia 6600GT 128mb
    Sony Vegas Movie Studio 6
    Photodex ProShow 2.6

Blog Entries

Please see section 10 of the FAQ located at: http://www.videoforums.co.uk/reviews/faq

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    Please see section 10 of the FAQ located at: http://www.videoforums.co.uk/reviews/faq
    This from section 10-
    So you've transferred your video from your DVD camcorder and you've got either a VOB or MPEG file to edit. Rather than trying to edit MPEG or VOB files, we can convert the compressed MPEG to DV for editing. To make the conversion from MPEG or VOB to DV, we need two tools: VirtualDubMod and the Panasonic DV codec.

Thanks for the advice, but there is no data on these disks. The disks won't play in any player. I thought that maybe the disks would only be playable in the camera that made the recording, but I'm not sure. I'll download that panasonic DV codec and VirtualDubMod for use later though.
    Sony DCR_TRV240- Digital 8
    Dell 4600 P4 3GHz, 1GB RAM
    Nvidia 6600GT 128mb
    Sony Vegas Movie Studio 6
    Photodex ProShow 2.6

I haven't used a DVD camcorder but maybe the discs need to be 'finalised' in the camera before you can 'see' the files on them. I know when I record onto my Sony DVD recorder and in order for the computer to see the various files it creates, I have to finalise the disc, take it out of the Sony and put it into the DVD player/writer on the computer. Try it to see if that helps.

Yes, you will need to finalize the disc in the camera before the computer or the DVD player will recognize it. Also, if you shoot in VR mode instead of Video mode, I have heard that can cause problems with the computer recognizing the disc unless you have Windows XP with Service Pack 2. Also VR mode is not compatible with many DVD players. I have not even tried VR mode. Since I bought the Sony Vegas program, I can retrieve the video files and edit them just as easily as I could do a capture from the Hi8 DV camera with Pinnacle and edit them. I dont use Pinnacle anymore, just Vegas. It accepts more formats, Pinnacle is very limited.
    Computer:
    Dell 4700 2.8GHZ CPU, 1GIG RAM, Windows XP Media Center S.P.2, Pentium 4 HT, 80 GIG SATA internal, 300 GIG SATA internal, 160 GIG IDE External, Dual Layer DVD-R/RW and second DVD/CD ROM. Dell 17" UltraSharp LCD. Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers.

Video Camera:
    Sony DCR-DVD403

Editing Programs:
    Pinnacle 9 Studio
    Windows Movie Maker
    Vegas Movie Studio + DVD

Quote Originally Posted by RamThis
    Since I bought the Sony Vegas program, I can retrieve the video files and edit them just as easily as I could do a capture from the Hi8 DV camera with Pinnacle and edit them. I dont use Pinnacle anymore, just Vegas. It accepts more formats, Pinnacle is very limited.
    Which Sony Vegas program would I need to buy? There seem to be a number available with quite a range in price. All I want to do is take video clips from the miniDVD that my Sony handycam writes (VOB files), and do some very basic editing and then burn to CD (or DVD if necessary.) Nothing fancy.

7. Default

In almost all cases the camera came wirh editing software that is made to work great with it. If you can, ask your client if they still have the software disc that came with the camera. I do a lot of computer work and a client of mine came to me with the same need to put software on his computer to edit the same type of video with. He even went out and bought a Sony Vegas program. It wouldn't work because the software didn't work with mpeg2 files. I had him hunt down the softwre that came with the camera and it worked great. It edited right in the mpeg2 format.

I only bought the camera a couple of weeks ago. An entry level Sony (Handycam DCR-DVD602E) that doesn't have a USB connection option, and had no software with it. Can only write to miniDVD discs. I can watch the VOB files on WinDVD4 but can't get them to open in Windows movie maker or in Video Edit Magic. Doing a websearch a couple of sites say that Sony Vegas editing suite will sort out the problem. I don't want to spend money on a programme and find it is the wrong one so if anyone can help me pleeeeze.
    Last edited by fenwick; 05-04-2006 at 05:56 PM.

Talking

Sorry I have just noticed that Ramthis very helpfully lists his hardware/software and he uses Vegas Movie Studio +DVD. I think I will download that and try it. Anyone got any comments?