Thread: New toys...

Blog Entries

Default New toys...

Got two of my three new toys delivered today: a bullet cam and a sony HC30E. Chose the HC30 as it was the cheapest DV cam I could find with AV inputs (I've risked my XM2 in many situations, but extreme sports is a definite no go). Should be having fun with the two over the next few weeks (I'm going on a stag weekend this month, so karting and paintballing are already on the cards)

Blog Entries

Bugger, spent my spare cash this month in a leather sofa, i knew there was some camera stuff I needed.

You have saved me a job cos I was wondering what the cheapest camera with av in was.

How much did you pay? How much and from where did you source the bullet cam?

I think the pdx 10 has av in so I might get a sh one of those.?.?.?

Blog Entries

Bought the HC30 from ebay (new) for 200. Not a bad little (and I mean little - didn't realise these things were so tiny) camera, but really just gonna be used for the bullet cam lens.

Got the bullet cam from dogcams. You'll see a complete review next week after I've remembered to buy some bloody batteries for the bullet cam. Bullet cam cost 150 odd including suction mounts, mic and battery pack. Wish I'd got a rechargable pack now as it takes 8xAA batteries.

The funny thing is that I bought the camera Monday night and it came Wednesday. Bought the bullet cam the day before and it too came Wednesday. Bought a suction mount system from H Prestons and no sign of it yet. Funny how an ebayer and a small company were quicker off the mark than one of the UKs leading video editing retailers. I always wonder if these companies pay attention toi my email address and take the time to look at my website. After all, a bad review from me could lose business. A glowing review on the other hand could push business their direction.

Blog Entries

Some companies have no idea about reviews and the effect on their business. I've been trying to get hold of a piece of excellent computer hardware to complete a magazine article. The kit is good, very reasonably priced, and I intend to write all this in the article. Unfortunately the UK importer has run out of stock and foreign distributors aren't allowed to sell to the UK.
    I have been asking the so-called press representative for weeks, to get me one from the manufacturers so that I can write about it. I pay full retail price for everything I review, that way I can be honest and not afraid to slag off bad gear, and word soon gets around about dodgy reviewers who "return the favour". Having seen this particular gizmo in the states I already know it's good, I just need to see the current version so that I can review it properly. By the time the article comes out, the stock will be in and this company can expect a rush on their product.

But no, it's all too much bother for their marketting department.

BTW - I saw your sneaky post on another video site, and also saw that the replies show that videoforums.co.uk has become a respected website amongst the video fraternity. Apparently there are some websites out there which are just a money-making excercise, the owner swopping good reviews for kit, or advertising.
    Videoforums ain't like that, so a good review here is worth a lot. A bad review is also worth paying attention to.

Blog Entries

Given that I own most of the stuff I review (and I bought them because I trialed and liked them), I haven't had the need to write a 'bad' review. Tha will however change shortly as I'm reminded of the Pro coder Express software that sits on my PC doing nothing. Doesn't touch the brilliance that is TMPGenc Xpress.

Blog Entries

Those small cams look nice. I really want one of the tiny ones for 'undercover' filming. That would be interesting.

Blog Entries

No sign of the suction mount from HPReston. In the mean time, here's a little foray into the world of a bulletcam. Nothing exciting I'm afraid, just some test footage (need to find some more optimal places to mount on my car for one).

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/files/bulletcamtest-2.mov