Thread: AG-HVX200 really HD?

Default AG-HVX200 really HD?

Is the quality of Panasonic's AG-HVX200 really HD? Like does it compare to that footage they play on HD tv's in stores to show the quality?

Blog Entries

From the specs the panasonic would poop over any hdtv standard I have heard of.

hdtv is (I think) a 20mbit stream.

The panasonic will record at up to 100mbit (to p2 cards not tape). More bits - better picture.

The quality of the pic on a hdtv will however show you what hdv is capable of.

If you are really considoring purchasing this camera do remember it only records to tape in sd dv not hdv. You need the cards or a dockable drive to record hdv and both are very expensive.

In general I posted a comparative test of hdv cameras that may be usefull to you.

edit

Here is the article http://www.videoforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=8300

Default mpeg-2

So basically these lower priced HD cams have to compress into mpeg-2 which is lossy and poor for editing. But they can do have high quality when recording onto tape.

Is all this correct?

Blog Entries

DV is a compression similar (broadly) to mpeg2, HDV is more like mpeg 4. This includes the panasonic.

Mpeg 4 type compression is not ideal for editing but the codec can handle editing but on my system with vegas it is a bit more clunky but ok.

The pana scores because of those higher bit rate options, but oh the price !

Standard hdv poops on dv and I suspect the increse with those higher bit rates will be small for most of us.