Thread: Help! Pulsating Video

Default Help! Pulsating Video

Using Premiere 6.5 on 2ghz PC. Sony DRU530A burner and Sonic MyDVD authoring. When I export my DVCam projects and burn to DVD, the first 10 to 20 seconds have what I will call a "resolution pulse" about 1.5 times a second.

The video seems to pixelate or to look like a lower resolution, or oversharpen in a pulsing way. It's the entire screen and on different players/TV's/computers.

I have not been able to troubleshoot by looking at my exported file before burning to DVD but will do so in the next 24 hrs. If anybody ever saw this please let me know. I've been a video engineer in television for 3 years and never saw this before. At first I wanted to say it had to do with a power (AC) issue, but because it goes away after the first 10 seconds and never comes back, I doubt power is causing it.

If I don't see it in my export, I'll know it's happening when I burn, but I've burned with DVDit before and it did the same thing, so I doubt it's my authoring software.

thanks... -Editor J

maybe nobodyu replied because they haven't seen the problem, but I now know what waas causing it and hope to help anybody who finds this post because of the same problem. I searched other forums and this seems to be a common problem.

If the video seems to pulse or alias, or look like the resloution lowers, and it happens with a pulsating (2X/second to be exact), this is caused by "I-frame pulsing", a quality difference between the I-frame and following B- and P-frames.

there are a few things you can do to fix it. Type "I-frame pulsing" into google and there's lots of info to read about stopping/reducing it. You can also try switching to Constant bit-rate instead of variable on export which may solve the problem without having to do more. Different people seem to have diferent solutions, but I found 5 or 6 descriptions that match my problem 100%, and it's I-frame pulsing.

Default re: "I-frame pulsing",

Hi,
    I am glad someone else has had this problem. I am an animator who has recently been forced into DVD authoring and video editing as a one man show at work. I use Premiere 6.5 and Adobe Encore 1.0 for authoring. I believe i'm having the same issue with the premiere export that you have apparently figured out. I was wondering if you could elucidate a bit on the "constant bit rate" setting in your last post concerning this. I have looked in premiere but can't find a setting for it. Please keep in mind that i'm a limited user of Premiere.

Thanks