Thread: Any way to fix unfocused video?

Default Any way to fix unfocused video?

Hi all,

I made a video with my camcorder recently, and I noticed that there is a period of about 10 minutes where the video goes in and out of focus for some reason....I suppose its an auto-focus issue. The out-of-focus lasts for maybe a second of 2, stays in focus for a a slightly longer period, maybe 5 to 10 seconds, then goes out of focus again. My question is, is there any software out there that can process the video and 're-focus' the bad parts? I have read there are some software tools that can do this with still pics, but I haven't seen any software packages that do this.

Thanks in advance,

CP

Quite honestly, I think you will be way out of luck here.

Depending on how far out of focus it is then you might be able to improve things by applying a 'sharpen' filter to it though.

Blog Entries

Along with 'use firewire' I suggest 'turn off auto focus' be tatooed on the faces of all new film makers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W
    Along with 'use firewire' I suggest 'turn off auto focus' be tatooed on the faces of all new film makers.
    Not just focus. Turn off every auto setting available.

However, the little point and shoot miniDV camcorder I have (Sony TRV-33E) is fully auto so you don't get the choice. So this type of issue will never go away completely.

Blog Entries

All auto stuff off, yes, I agree.

The only time I ever use af and then rarely is in situations where I am filming in something like an unpredictable crowd when the subject is changing suddenly and I need to concentrate on my own safety / not falling over.

Oh well :(

That's kind of what I expected to hear.....anyways, thanks for taking the time to repsond, guys.

- CP