Thread: New to site, New to Vegas, lots of questions :)

Default New to site, New to Vegas, lots of questions :)

Hey everyone,

I've been looking for a vegas forum for quite awhile (amazing what typing vegas video forums) in google can do for you

Anyways, I'm not a real videoesk person if you might say, but I was recently asked to make a video for my World of Warcraft Guild, as we complete blackwing lair (Any WoW people out there? :P)

I'm using the following programs.

Fraps for capturing footage (I wish there was a better program to caputre footage, but fraps seems to be the only one really.)

Vegas 6.0 (Great program, I don't know a lot but I'm learning fast)

I was reading rendering issues and other such forums and found that I should download Virtual Dub (anyone have a link to where I can download this?)

I'm just working on the introduction right now for the movie (don't have any hard-core BWL footage yet, but used a program called wow-map to cruse through BWL and capture some cool shots.)

Here are my long list of questions.

1: What's the best way to render a file so it's high quality, and good file-size (I'm sure that's a question in itself, but figured I'd ask anyways)

From what I've read, 2nd pass encoding is the best for quality and size, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that, so if this is the best way, then if someone could elaberate I would greatly appreciate it.

I was thinking of rendering as .avi, since that works on mostly all computers (With little codec additions) but any other one I'm open with..

Sorry for the newbish questions, and thank you so much in advance![/u]
    Help me, I\'m new

Anyone help with 1pass 2nd pass rendering?
    Help me, I\'m new

Blog Entries

Not sure how you do this in Vegas, but essentially you set your software to run 2-pass (or N-pass) rendering. Then you render for the first time and it won't actually produce a video but a log file with analysis of the video. The second time you render you will actually get a video file based on the analysis of the first pass. And so on and so forth.

What's the point of doing 1st pass nth pass?

I can just do a normal pass, but does it help with quality and compression?
    Help me, I\'m new

Blog Entries

Please elaborate. I don't understand what you mean. Nth pass implies any number of passes.

I think they are wondering what the advantages of doing more than one pass are, or at the least I am wondering that myself.

Blog Entries

The fast pass is an analysis of the video. It enables a Variable Bitrate setting to maximise quality by increasing the bitrate as required.

Okay that makes sense..

IF anyone here uses vegas video, here's another question I have.

I have two movie clips, Clip A is a flythough, and Clip-B is a picture of a skull.

My problem is this.

I want the skull to be in the foreground during the end of clip A, I've tried placing Clip B OVER Clip A (On the vegas screen) but then it just does a "fade out clip A, show Clip B" I want the skull to be more visible then the clip a, but I still want to be able to see the fly though (clip a)

IS there some way to set priorties at certain clips?

I also tried the split feature right where I want clip a and b to switch, but for some reason when I do split it, clip a goes back to the beginning of the clip. (IE the beginning of the fly-through)

Hope that's not too confusing, thats the best way I can explain it.
    Help me, I\'m new