Thread: Downloading video from camcorder to pc without firewire slot

Default Downloading video from camcorder to pc without firewire slot

Hi, I hope somebody can help me. I have a JVC Mini DV Model GR-D31EK and have successfully been downloading video to my pc via the firewire cable. My computer conked out and had to buy another. When everything was set up, I noticed there was no suitable "hole" to connect the firewire cable on the back of my new computer. How on earth am I to download my video now? Am quite confused and would like to know if I need to buy a newer camcorder to go with my new computer?
    Thanks so much.

Oh sorry but I forgot to say I use My DVD to edit and make the DVD's
    Thanks

Blog Entries

You can buy a PCI firewire card for about £10 to fit into your new PC.

Oh, thank god. Thats a much cheaper option. Thanks so much for replying so quickly. I am just wondering, is it normal for new computers not to have this facility? Its because I went back to the shop where I purchased the computer and the salesman was not very helpful and told me that I needed to buy another camcorder and that nowaways, more and more computers dont need firewire anymore. Do you think this is correct?
    Thanks again for any help

Blog Entries

The salesman is speaking complete rubbish. It's rare that a PC doesn't have a firewore port.

Thank you. I am going to go back tomorrow and complain I think! You have helped me enourmously

6. Default

....buy another camcorder and that nowadays, more and more computers donít need firewire anymore.....
    That is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard in a long time. If anything more and more Have firewire. USB 2 is what he will probably say takes its place and he would also be so wrong with that statement. Usb2 cannot sustain the transfer rates needed for video transfer. (it has a OK burst speed but does not hang in there) Only DVD camcorders use USB2 and the file will only be an mpeg2 (DVD standard) which is NO GOOD for editing.

Print out this thread and bring it with you!

I so will print this out. I am steaming at the moment and very cross with shop. He showed me some very expensive camcorders and told me that new improved USB connection was definately replacing firewire. Anyway, the long and short of it is that he sold me Dazzle Digital Video Creator 90 as a solution (was £60.00 but I got it for £30.00) which incidentally doesn't even work properly. Quality bad and keeps going black and white. I really did think that I was going to have to buy a new camcorder!!
    Thanks very much
    Anna