Thread: Widescreen recording with 2 cameras - compatible ?

Default Widescreen recording with 2 cameras - compatible ?

Hi guys, first of all I just want to say I've learned a sxxtload since I joined here last week, especially by burning the midnight oil as I read through all the previous topics.

Ok, here's my question. I'm going to be filming some actors with two JVC GR-D390 mini-DV cameras, which have the "true widescreen" recording format. I have the opportunity to use a third camera, which is also a JVC, one of those Everio GZ-MG20 hard drive ones. So, I'll be filming the actors with either two or three cameras (to borrow the Everio one will cost a few quid, otherwise, obviously I would go ahead and use it in conjunction with the other two on the "nothing to lose" basis), and when it comes to editing together, I will naturally want consistency in the image frame; it will be two shot in "true widescreen" and the third shot on one of two of the Everio's settings; 4x3 and 16x9. Will the latter match the "true widescreen", will it be nearer enough not to be noticeable ?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

Have a look and see, if it looks okay, go for it.

I've gone onto the JVC website and printed off detailed specs for each camera, where they claim the GR-D390 records in "true widescreen" it's a 16:9 ratio, which is what the Everio GZ-MG20 can record in also, therefore I am assuming that footage from both of these JVC camcorders will be compatible at the editing stage !

Bracknell, Berkshire, UK

but do remember to manually white balance each camera under the same conditions just before shooting sso as to avoid any colour inconsistencies during editing.

Thanks Alan, I'll take that on board too