Thread: Camcorder Format: Tape vs Harddrive ?

Default Camcorder Format: Tape vs Harddrive ?

Hi All!

First my history: Owned Sony 8mm, and my current Sony Digital 8, with well over 100 family tapes (slowly converting most to DVD too).

So, with just one crappy model in the world left to support 8mm and Digital 8 tapes, I need to figure out what the next camera will be. Based on my reading, can someone confirm these thoughts/ideas.

1. I would assume that any camera that records in MPEG will not edit as well as the .avi files I get from tapes, right? What about the harddrive cameras?

2. With Mini-DV tapes being more expensive, should I stay with the lone Sony model for 8mm, or make the jump to Mini-DV? If I go with non-8mm format, my 2 Sonys still work so I can play my old tapes, plus I'll still have option of purchasing one of those Sony 8mm players.

3. If I go Mini-DV, I'm thinking about switching to Canon, since I've been so happy with my S1, but at the same time, enjoy the Sony low-light quality.

Again, I think the goal would be to keep high quality for possible editing later on.

Thanks!
    Chet
    Dell Dimension 9100 - 2.8GHz Dual Core
    1GB Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM
    160GB SATA Hard Drive
    256MB ATI\'s RADEON X600 HyperMemory
    Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio (?)
    DL DVD Burner
    Dell 1905FP 19\" Ultrasharp
    XP Home SP2
    (just got August 5, 2005)

Use MyDVD 6.0 Deluxe

Used to edit and burn on Compaq Presario 933MHz, ha!

Default Re: Camcorder Format: Tape vs Harddrive ?

Quote Originally Posted by chetnet
    1. I would assume that any camera that records in MPEG will not edit as well as the .avi files I get from tapes, right? What about the harddrive cameras?
    That's correct. MPEG is very compressed and not frame-accurate, which makes it inappropriate for editing. The same goes for solid state camcorders.
    2. With Mini-DV tapes being more expensive, should I stay with the lone Sony model for 8mm, or make the jump to Mini-DV? If I go with non-8mm format, my 2 Sonys still work so I can play my old tapes, plus I'll still have option of purchasing one of those Sony 8mm players.
    I'd advise you to go with MiniDV... D8 is dead and once you have all your old V8/D8 footage converted to DVD there's no reason for which you should use that dinosaur any more.
    3. If I go Mini-DV, I'm thinking about switching to Canon, since I've been so happy with my S1, but at the same time, enjoy the Sony low-light quality.
    Sony is my favorite too. But when making your decision, pay for the quality, not necessarily the brand.
    Cheers!