Thread: Video out of level

Default Video out of level

I have been running a video group at school and have had some success calming some very difficult pupils, but have now got a problem. One of the boys videod a safety video in the wood workshop but he got the important bit of the film out of level by about 10 degrees. :( Does anyone know of any free or cheep software that we can use to square this video up again? or is it a case of a retake with all of its attendant problems. Thanks for any help. :P I should have added that we are using Pinnacle Studio 9 as our editing software.

Maybe the kid was practising the Dutch tilt
    Did you try VirtualDub?

Blog Entries

Most editors will allow you to tilt and crop the picture to get things straight, but there will be some loss of resoloution.

I would reshoot it again as Mark says you will notice the drop in quality in that particular scene compared to the scene before and after it. I think there is another problem aswell. Whenever you rotate a photo in say Photoshop you lose a bit around the edges and a similar thing will happen here, you get the black background showing and you don't want that. Would it be possible to beg or borrow a tripod in future, even just for the day?

Thanks to all for your comments. I have looked through Pinnacle Studio 9 and cant find any way of solving the problem. I looked through my own Adobe Premier 6.5 and still no joy. Mind it could be me looking in the wrong place. Anyway that young man will have to put it down as a learning experience and shoot that scene again. Unfortunately that means I will have to be the victim again rolling around on a dirty workshop floor. Ah well!!!! Its a hard life this teaching.

Default Rotate

Arthur, Premiere 6.5 can definitely rotate video clips. I can't remember exactly what it'll be called (Premiere Pro handles all this within the 'Motion' Effect Control) but it's there somewhere.

Jon

Shellgrip
    Got it :P Yes it took some finding but thanks to you I managed to find it . Now I will have to fetch the clip home and sort it out for this young man. A very good learning experience for him and for me. Thanks again for your help. Cant find this option in Pinnacle though.