Thread: Old Movie look in Premiere Pro 2.0

Default Old Movie look in Premiere Pro 2.0

Hi guys!

I have a question. Do anyone here know how to make an old movie look in Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0? What effect filters to use? If anyone can give me specific settings to change, that would be very helpful.

I'm thinking of using my old Ulead Video Studio 7.0 to do this (it's just a-click-and-drag effect in this program) or even Windows Movie Maker (someone said to me that it's possible using this) but c'mon, my Premiere Pro 2.0 can't pull this off?
    The truth is within us...

I don't have the s/w in front of me but I think Adobe refere to 'dust and scratch' effects rather than old movie. Look for those.

I might find time to double check tonight when I get home and confirm this.

Also, as well as applying the dust and scratches you will likely want to discolour the clip so look at tghe colour correction (sic!) filter as well.

You could also try speeding your film up (slightly) depending on what era it is set in. From the earliest days up until the 1930's the camera's where all hand cranked, and I'm sure you've seen those old Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton films where the action seems speeded up or seems to jump from time to time.

Default awesome

chaplin is great, yea they are like sped up and choppy and usual got some fast musical in the action parts

It's a pity those old films aren't shown on TV more often. They used to be shown in the UK and Ireland about 20 years ago, yes that's how long ago it has been on terrestrial TV. Harold Lloyd was always on around 5.30 in the afternoon and two of his 'shorts' were shown before the six o clock evening news. Channel 4 in the UK showed some Buster Keaton films a number of years ago and you were definitely watching a master at work. And not forgetting the female stars of that era, when was the last time you saw a film with the Gish sisters, Gloria Swanson or Mary Pickford (I can' t recall ever seeing one of her films - ever) on TV or on sale in the local video store? I think to have a full appreciation of the art of film production and to raise your own standards and how we have arrived at this stage, you need to immerse yourself in it.