Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP: Countdown

Default WIP: Countdown

Hi All,

Following on from my last post, Dead Man Working ( http://www.videoforums.co.uk/viewtop...ad+man+working ) I am back for some feedback and any ideas or critiques with our latest project, Countdown. Here are two versions of the intro, both very good, but still unsure of whic direction to go in with regards the fading out of "Countdown" title.

Title 1:
    http://media.putfile.com/timeline-to-chdv_custom001

Title 2:
    http://media.putfile.com/countdown95

The editing following the title in the second clip is more in keeping with the direction we are going. All footage shot on Sony Z1's, the exteriors shot by Ben (editor fantastique) without 35mm adapter, and the interiors shot with a Z1+Letus35A with 28mm and 50mm lenses. Cut on FCP5.

Thanks and looking forward to your input.

Regards,

Anthony

ps. some pics

first set build ever....good fun and an excellent learning experience.

camera with 35mm adapter and support

my new years resolution is 300 DPI.

They have a fantastic look to them, if the second one is in keeping I'd stick with that. Just out of curiosity, did you make that 35mm adapter?
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

Yeebsy,

Thanks for your feedback. I did not make the 35mm adapter, I imported it from the states from Queyen Le, his site is here www.letus35.com. Cost about £300 for the A version, well worth it for DOF control and a different look.

Demo footage http://www.anthonybristol.com/video/frensham3.mov (right click/save as)

Anthony

Blog Entries

Modded cameras are cool, But I dont think I would hacksaw the front off my own camera !

Lol
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

Neither would I, thats why this SCREWS onto the threads at the front of the camera, no mods to the camera itself. Read the website.

I prefer the first one, I think it looks really smooth with the countdown words staying on that wall, and I also like the shot with the guy on the set better in the first one. However, if you feel you should go with the second one, definitly go with it.

Thanks for your input Taxman, there is a slight worry that the sliding out text looks a little cheesey?!?! I wonder if anyone noticed the objects (and actors) appearing in the room as the camera tracks accross?

It's more evident in the CU of the table in this shot:

Be warned: there are elements of the female anatomy on display here :!:
    http://media.putfile.com/compress-mehdv_custom001

I think we did 27 passes of the tracking shot in the end, I think it mixes quite seamlessly. No final audio mix from the actors yet as we are waiting for a final cut to send the footage to the audio department.

Default About your editing

Hey I think so far you've done a great job, and as far as the titles go...for the slidng text...KEEP IT THAT WAY REALLY REALLY Neat, but like you mentioned the first time about fading...WHY NOT? if its not to late for you to go in and edit it... do so and the way I'd go about it is...slide the text like you been doing but also just before going to another shot fade the text out.

I got to admit that when watching your intro I kinda expected the text to fade out just before going to another shot, so having it just slide leaves something for the viewer to be desired.

some other additions that came to mind was this: being that you have some text moving across the screen people might be more apt to ONLY reading the text and not giving to much attention to the scene... so I think that if you actually allow the shot to be continuous a few more seconds AFTER the text has faded out, it will give the viewer a chance to get the best of both worlds, THEY'LL SEE YOUR FANCY TEXT and THEY'LL HAVE TIME TO SEE YOUR SCENE WHICH WILL PUT THEM IN THE MOOD YOU WANT THEM TO BE IN!

Fantastic response Sean, definitely some excellent points to consider, especially regarding the text distracting the viewer form the scene.
    We're making the changes now, I think this will help a lot!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast