Thread: Overheating problem fixed, the botchers way.

Blog Entries

Default Overheating problem fixed, the botchers way.

My pc was crashing due to meltdown and I was going to buy a big cooler, but I found a better way.

Botched it.

All these super fan cpu coolers really just dump heat in the case, so I tht I would try to get more air thru the case, so i added all the case fans (3) I could. No improvement.

Then I noticed that the round holey bits in front of the fans ruin thier flow. I removed the front case fan and mounted it under the round grill on the side of the case over the cpu fan, bit better.

Then I added a paper tube so the air is sucked in by the case fan directing the air to the cpu fan, better but no fondue set.

Then I got a hammer and a chisel and made the holey grill on the side on big hole so the flow is not restricted.

Now cool air fronm the outside is suck in by the case fan and then it goes thru the tube directly to the cpu fan. Result. Idle now 41 (was 50), full load is 46 (was 58 meltdown sieze up), and no macho pricey cpu fan required.

I think the lesson is clear, get cold air directly to the cpu cooler, dont buy big coolers, they just recirc all that warm air in the case.

Blog Entries

That's interesting. The inside of my Antec case is actually cooler than the ambient room temperature. (And to do this I did the highly scientific experiment of sticking my hand in the case, and then proceeded to put my hand right inside the rather large exhaust fan at the top. Bloody hurt.)

Blog Entries

Ha, that case must already have good air circ. I suspect it felt cooler due to evaporation in the moving air over your damp hand. To actually be cooler than the surrounding air it would need to actively cooled.

Blog Entries

could you tell me the model number, sounds like a good, if scary, case.