Thread: Firewire HDD - 100ish to spend

Default Firewire HDD - 100ish to spend

I'm looking for a firewire HDD, and I've got a limit of 100, give or take a pound or two. Anyone know of any good deals in the UK?

Blog Entries

I think the best and cheapest way is to buy the f wire box and add the drive, sourced seperately. You seem to pay over the odds buying all together.

I have a nice metal box with fan by safecom and I think it was 20 quid in a local shop. It does f wire and usb 2 (like you would want to !), and can be chained.

Are you going to use the disk for day to day video work or are you going to use it just for storage? If it's just for storage and or moving files from one computer to another, then I have a Freecom 160Gb and it is fast enough for transferring files from the PC to it and for playing back video and audio files. I haven't tried to actually capture video to it yet, I prefer to use the internal SATA for that.

Gonna be using it for a bit of everything really - backing up stuff, transferring stuff from one PC to another. TBH I probably won't be capping directly to it, i'll just be moving stuff from my internal HD to the external to make space.

If you are just going to use it for backing up and transferring files from one computer to another then I can certainly recommend the Freecom Classic Portable HD. As I said, I got the 160GB and now I've only 40GB left on it, so I wish I'd bought the 250GB instead. I think a little advertisement in our local free ads newspaper might be in the offing. It's amazing how quickly video files fill up your disks. If you do videos for people or clients, you could always put the file on the HD and take it to your work or their work premises and show it to them before you commit it to DVD.

Mike: if you're not married to the Firewire option - which is generally more expensive - I've had a good experience with a pair of Western Digital 250GB drives that cost me 100 each from Amazon (one to back up the other, which backs up my system... Yay for paranoia!) For my purposes, and what sounds like your purposes, USB 2.0 works just fine.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

f)

Nope - gotta be firewire. Scan have a deal on on a 250GB USB one for about 70-something at the moment anyway.

Have you thought about e-SATA ?

If your motherboard has SATA ports then you can fix an external SATA backplate (from MAPLIN) that adds data and power sockets to the back of your PC so you can hot-swap external SATA drives (either bare, or installed in neat enclosures).

e-SATA is faster than Firewire because you are connecting the disk direct to the motherboard, bypassing the transmission protocols that Firewire and USB2.0 require.

GG

I do know about e-SATA but unfortunately my computer is ancient and doesn't have it. I'm coping with my current PC spec until my credit card bill is paid off

A firewire HDD is probably the best upgrade option for me because I already have 1GB RAM, but only a socket 478 P4 1.7GHz with IDE only. The firewire HD I will be able to use happily on my other PC. I might even consider buying one of the Lacie triple extreme that has USB2, firewire 400 and firewire 800 on, to futureproof it even more.