Thread: Soldier in Iraq...with a video camera.

Default Soldier in Iraq...with a video camera.

Would anyone be interested in seeing a video about my platoon in Iraq? I have not edited it yet nor have i got all the footage that i want. I'm just throwing that question out there to see if it will be worth venturing. Also, has anyone ever used Canopus Let's EDIT? Good? Bad? Any and all feedback welcome. Thanks in advance.

Well I would love to see some footage shot at ground level, I mean without the news agencies’ input on whether it’s ‘suitable’ or not. Do your edits, and please post plenty of it. How long have you been there, and when did you start shooting – I mean filming?

Blog Entries

I would love the raw footage to edit. It may be better for you to do it yourself as you were there so to speak, but as an editor it would be great footage to edit on.

I think you will be inundatedby with offers to edit your stuff, just a word, if you have anything that works against you (i.e when the squadies beat up the rioters) bin it before the papers get their hands on it.
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

Thanks for the responses. I've been here since november 05. But, sadly, just recieved my JVC Everio recently. But i take it everywhere. Still trying to get a certain 'theme'. Don't know whether i want to do short installments or compile them into one long film at the end. I just discovered video editing recently and i am completely consumed with it in my free time. I'll be around. Thanks again.

Blog Entries

That is priceless footage you have there. Dont give it away whatever you do.

Seriously, mate, you could have some valuable archive footage in a few short years. I reckon you should think about this. Here’s a couple of ideas:

1) As well as footage of the tense conditions, why not document some of the banter with other squaddies? Your daily routines might seem mundane right now, but they’ll be a glimpse of history before you know it.

2) What about a series of short ‘episodes’ featuring the sort of problems you guys face every day? Write down how you feel about it all, and use this as a narrative.

With a bit of thought, you could create a niche all your own. You’ve got a unique opportunity, mate, go for it.

Don’t forget, we’d love to see some footage. There are lots of experienced editors here who will gladly advise you on how best to edit short pieces. So take advantage of the knowledgeable guys on this forum.

And best regards to all of you.