Thread: Creating MENU's for own video DVD and playing the DVD

Default Creating MENU's for own video DVD and playing the DVD

I would like to create multi level MENU's for my videos. Can somebody tell me which video editing software has this feature?
    I would also like to have the feature for my videos on DVD to be played chapter by chapter and from the beginning to the end continuously as well, how can I do it?

Thanx

Default Re: Creating MENU's for own video DVD and playing the DVD

Quote Originally Posted by MunteanZ
    I would like to create multi level MENU's for my videos. Can somebody tell me which video editing software has this feature?
    As far as I know - all DVD authoring packages will allow you to do this.

I would also like to have the feature for my videos on DVD to be played chapter by chapter and from the beginning to the end continuously as well, how can I do it?

Thanx
    It sounds like you you want a menu to play each individual chapter and then return to the menu at the end of the chapter rather than just jump tothe chapter and play to the end, whcih is much more normal. if you want the latter then, again, I think they all do this.

however, if you want to be able to play a particular chapter and then back to themenu rather thanplay the next chapter then the only one I know about that can do this is Adobe Encore DVD v2. It's a new feature in v2.

I tried the multi level menu in Pinnacle Studio 9 but it is not possible. I will try another sw.

About the second point a good example for my question would be an original movie. If you choose the "play movie" menu then the movie is played from beginning to the end and if you choose the "select scenes" menu and from this submenu you select a scene then only that chapter is played. This is what I would like to create. If there is possible in each sw then could you let me know where I can found that option in Pinnacle Studio 9.

Thanx

I tried the multi level menu in Pinnacle Studio 9 but it is not possible. I will try another sw.
    You can't have a menu calling another menu in Pinnacle 9??? This is a very basic requirement of menu building for DVDs. I do not know Pinnacle 9 but if it doesn't contain this functionality I would quite simply take it back to your vendor and claim it is unfit for the purpose and get a refund.

About the second point a good example for my question would be an original movie. If you choose the "play movie" menu then the movie is played from beginning to the end and if you choose the "select scenes" menu and from this submenu you select a scene then only that chapter is played. This is what I would like to create. If there is possible in each sw then could you let me know where I can found that option in Pinnacle Studio 9.

Thanx
    Like I said, I do not know Pinnacle 9 (or any version tbh) and the ONLY s/w I know of that has this function is Adobe Encore DVD v2.

I might well be wrong here, but I think you can do it in Encore 1.0 aswell. using the "override" function.

I agree with the studio 9 comment, it should certainly be possible to link a few menus together in any DVD authoring tool.

I suggest using the burning software that came with your PC, you will probably have Sonic MyDVD or a Nero package that will handle this easily. I know MyDVD does it simply, but you can't do the one chapter at a time thing with it though.

unless your movie is short enough to fit on to a DVD twice, then you could create one clip with the whole thing and label it PLAY ALL, and then create individual clips corresponding to the chapters you want, and have a menu linking to each one in turn. It's a messy work-around but it will work. (probably)
    Panasonic SD9, Panasonic NVGS-75, Canon MV600i

Quote Originally Posted by bgarthp
    I might well be wrong here, but I think you can do it in Encore 1.0 aswell. using the "override" function.
    No! The ability to return to the menu when a chapter finishes, rather than just continuing on the the next chapter is a brand new feature in Encore v2.

I suspect you are thinking about being able to have each 'chapter' as an individual clip, which would obviously return to the menu on completion (but then they wouldn't really be 'chapters' would they?) and then using the override ability to build a 'play all' button.

In fact this might be a convenient workaround but isn't quite what he asked for.

ULead VideStudio 8 or above allows you to create a sub-menu containing thumbs of your chapters, with the option of returning to the menu once the chapter has played (rather then playing on to the end) or not.

sony vegas has dvd menus. Or you can try adobe encore DVD.