Thread: Safety last

Default Safety last

Does anyone know if those old Harold Lloyd films are still being shown? I last remember seeing them on tv about 20 years ago. They were on about 5.30 in the evening and lasted about 20 minutes, I guess they were referred to as 'shorts' as opposed to double-reelers. The thing I was wondering was, how did they shoot him (supposedly) climbing up the side of tall buildings and hanging from the hands of a clock? You could clearly see the traffic and street way below him. They certainly didn't have blue screen or computers back in 1919 or 1920. So it must have been done optically?

Blog Entries

I am pretty certain the H lloyd actually really did those crazy stunts. Back in them days optical effects were basic and the real thing worked best.

Harold did his own stunts, the thing is, the buildings and clocks you see him hung off are actualy sets built on the roof of high buildings and the camera placed at an angle where you can't see the flat roof, all in all if he fell he only fell 8 feet onto crash mats.
    ggmabaapbnebtrbatst

4. Default

Well, it's not the best for optical effects, but if you want the real thing, check out the sport of Parkour. It's the art of moving from A to B as quickly and efficiently as possible using only the potential of the human body. It's kind of a mix between rock climbing, skateboarding, gymnastics, martial arts, and urban climbing. Americanparkour.com is a good one, and search for parkour in the google video engine for some videos.
    \"He\'s not as tough as he thinks he is!
    Neither are we.\" - The Sting

Blog Entries

Yep, it is mad, I keep meaing to hook up with some parkour guys in bristol for a vid.

Thanks guys for the replys. So it was done on the flat roof of an actual building with the crew across the street and the camera was tilted at a particular angle. Wasn't there some story about Harold Lloyd that came out ten years or so after his death that a stuntman called Harry Carry Jr (tempting fate with a name like that) did his more dangerous stunts?