Thread: PC Desktop vs. Mac Laptop

Default PC Desktop vs. Mac Laptop

Hello Folks,
    I am new to this forum here but what I have read is quite interesting indeed.
    I am in the process of researching an upgrade for our current editing system.
    The nature of my business is Commercial and Wedding Video Projects.
    I also do work on my own films whenever I can.
    I use a Digital 3ccd camera (Sony DCR VX2000) and edit with Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe After Effects.
    Currently I am having problems with Sound and I wanted to look into a portable editing/audio capture solution.
    So I currently have an AMD 2800+ with 1 gig of DDR 4200 Ram (which is terribly slow at rendering by the way) and I am wondering if a Powerbook G4 1.67 gHz would be the way to go or if I should just go for the Dual G5 and then look for an audio solution from a DAT or something like it.

Has anyone compared the editing power of an AMD 2800+ compared to a Powerbook 1.67 G4?

Does anyone have any Advice for me?
    Thanks,
    Chris

Probably renders slow b/c of a slow harddrive setup. I would try getting a second HDD to do RAID0 and then seeing how that goes.

I'm currently messing with Premiere on an Alienware & it's incredibly slow... even for just playing videos that are out on the harddrive... plays through the buffer and then starts dropping frames left and right. New computer, will have the harddrives set up in RAID1+0, that I'm building should be much better.

Personally, I would never get a Mac. Too expensive... you can build a PC for half the price... but price is not a big deal, then you might want to look into it... just make sure it has a RAID0 setup.

THanks for the Quick Response time.
    Yeah I do see that PC's are quite a bit cheaper but of course as far as I understand FCP destroys Adobe Premiere Pro not only in actual abilities but also for Stability.
    What is this Raid that you speak of and why is it important?
    So basically I probably need to hear from someone who has used a variety of systems and have used both Mac and PC's does anyone know how the POwerbook G4 would compare to my system?

Quote Originally Posted by destro_16
    THanks for the Quick Response time.
    Yeah I do see that PC's are quite a bit cheaper but of course as far as I understand FCP destroys Adobe Premiere Pro not only in actual abilities but also for Stability.
    Can't say. Somewhat new to this stuff too.

What is this Raid that you speak of and why is it important?
    Redundant Array of Independent Disks... which means it's a system of "more than one drive".

RAID0 = striping. File is broken up into pieces and put on more than one drive. When the computer needs to read a file, it can utilize the speed of more than one drive. Pros: Faster performance, especially for large files. Two 200GB drives will still give you 400GB of space. Cons: If one of the two drives goes down, the whole system goes down.

RAID1 = mirroring. copies the data to 2 different harddrives. If one quits working, you've got a second copy. Pros: Almost impossible for you to lose your data. Cons: Two drives, same capacity. E.G.: Two 200GB drives in RAID1 = 200GB of space.

Other common types of RAID: 1+0 (combination of the two above), 0+1 (not as good as 1+0, but more common), and 5 (complicated. expensive.)

So basically I probably need to hear from someone who has used a variety of systems and have used both Mac and PC's does anyone know how the POwerbook G4 would compare to my system?
    Someone else will have to answer this one for you. :p

Blog Entries

I think a p book g4 would be slower than your current pc.

If your are loaded with cash mac or pc otherwise PC for sure, many more bangs per buck.