Thread: Noobie Capturing HDV footage Problems

Default Noobie Capturing HDV footage Problems

Hi - I've shot and cut a few things as DV in Premiere 1.5.1 but my latest job needs to be in HDV. When I try capturing any HDV footage to PPro the capture t I can't judge how much because the screen goes blank and the camera lcd panel goes black. I usually capture the short DV raw scene footage then cut it down. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!
    :arrow:

have you got the appropriate codecs in place to enable you to run HDV through your computer?

The patch for Premier Pro from 1.5 to 1.5.1 does this as I recall. HDV footage does not play in the capture window while running. I used to get the following message displayed when capturing "See camcorder display for preview" so as far as PPro is concerned you should be watching the monitor on the camcorder.

I can't vouch just yet as to whether this is the same in PPro2 as I've not done any captures in it yet.

As to why your camcorder is not displaying your footage on the monitor while it's playing is a bit of a mystery. Does it always do this or just when connected via firewire? Check the documentation that came with the camere and see fi there's an option to control this.

What camera is it btw? I have a Sony HDR-FX1E and that previews playback on the camcorder's minitor during capture ok.

Default Problem Sorted!!

It's fine now - the problems was caused by using the controls on the camera instead of the control in the capture window. PPro was just having a little grumble about it... Thanks for the response!

And thanks for posting the answer. Somany people don't. It's always nice to have things rounded off nicely so others with the same problem can find the answer.