Thread: advice on new camcorder purchase

Default advice on new camcorder purchase

Could anyone offer some advice on a new camera, I own an Canon XM1 and a sony hi8 thingy, I have just completed a promo video and indications are that more work will follow.
    Question is I need another camera to complement th XM1 and am unable to choose between the Canon XL2 or a Hi Def Sony, both seem to be very good cameras but Sony is a lot cheeper than the Canon.

Help please.......

Thanks

I have an XM1 and they are great! have you thought about an XM2?

I'd carry on with Cannon if I was to buy another camera as they are so so solid as far as I am concerned.

Default what camera

I did look at the XM2 but was not impressed, the XM1 feels like a better camera (in my opinion), the XL also feels really usable, I have not seen the Sony yet.

if you can afford an XL then go with that. I bought my Xm a good few years ago, and it's still the best investment I ever made. it's made my college and uni projects look ace, and prevented me from using some really dodgy single chip cameras at college, and enabled me to have multiple camera shoots at uni.

if i were you, i would go with a high def sony, that way you can shoot everything in high def, and then when importing it, downscale to SD (but if you use high def, keep it high def) because sd that is scaled down hd looks unfreakenbelieveable!!!
    Mac G5 workstation with 4 gigs of ram, 4x250 gig drives in raid 5. High availability cluster server running centos for a server. 2xCanon GL2 cameras.

TuscSports.com

Default what camera

Thanks for all replys, all very helpfull, I'm thinking that as HD is the future the Sony should be a safer bet and its cheaper, I have an HD tele and HD movies look fantastic, I will hunt for one locally and see how it feels.

How much larger are HD files in uncompressed format, I have just completed 9 minutes and that was 1.86gb, when converted to DVD it was reduced and so was the quality.