Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If I were to dev this product, would you guys be interested?

Default If I were to dev this product, would you guys be interested?

A 20 gig harddrive with 400 MB/s bandwidth... which is basically way more than you'd ever need. The average IDE HDD gets about 55 MB/s... SCSI, 80 MB/s.

Yes, I can get it made.... no, it has nothing to do with RAID. The parts alone would cost $300 though, so if it were ever to get to market, it would be $450ish.

Think there'd be demand for it or nah? Maybe I should wait a while... until I can get it to 80gb of storage and up?

sounds like a good idea, but 20GB is not that much space for video. if you can get 100GB then it'd be snapped up like hotcakes, if your calculations about IDE and SCSI are correct.

Interesting thought but is there a chipset that can take advantage of the extra speed?

It would probably work better in large corporate network/intranet servers, where file sizes are smaller but accessed constantly by lots of people.

Quote Originally Posted by miwhel
    Interesting thought but is there a chipset that can take advantage of the extra speed?

It would probably work better in large corporate network/intranet servers, where file sizes are smaller but accessed constantly by lots of people.
    I forget the bandwidth you can get on the modern chipsets, but as far as interfaces go, a PCI-e x2 could handle this.

This would basically be a RAMdisk on crack. An external device with 10x2gb or 20x1gb sticks of PC2100, linked with multiple USB2.0s to a PCI-e x2 card.

Small capacity versions that run out of system meory will already do this... emulate a hard drive with RAM:

http://www.cenatek.com/product_ramdisk.cfm
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=ramdisk

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thorpe
    Very cool!

The only thing is that's internal. Advantages of external:

1) More room. Instead of a 4gb version, you could easily make a 20gig, 40gig, or even higher version. That 4gb drive there has some uses, but not to video editors and most people doing file servers.

2) very quick way to xfer files from one computer to another. If you didn't have the pci-e card (which is very cheap... nothing more than pci-e interface to SATA/PATA interface or even a custom interface) installed, you could even go through a normal USB port (although this would cut bandwidth a bit)... so you'd have a large ramdisk + zip drive all in one... instead of just a small ramdisk.

This could very well already be made and out there... but I'm not aware of it. Luckily, this is my "bad" idea. I have 2 much better ones. (Can't share.)

so how much would you charge for a 40 gig one?
    Mac G5 workstation with 4 gigs of ram, 4x250 gig drives in raid 5. High availability cluster server running centos for a server. 2xCanon GL2 cameras.

TuscSports.com

Quote Originally Posted by grewell912
    so how much would you charge for a 40 gig one?
    This is not something that I could make in a week... so don't expect to be buying one anytime soon. :mrgreen:

In fact, it's just an idea that I'd pass to a friend... since I'm working on a project right now that's much more important. I'd just pitch the idea to some people and let them roll with it.

But I do have some powerful friends in IT / hardware... so it's very possible that I could get the ball rolling... if there is demand.

Video of I-RAM in action: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...84544344753709

Pretty nice!

holy SH*T thats fast, i bet that computer already had 2 or 4 gigs of ram, and then they used that I-Ram thing....
    Mac G5 workstation with 4 gigs of ram, 4x250 gig drives in raid 5. High availability cluster server running centos for a server. 2xCanon GL2 cameras.

TuscSports.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast