Thread: trouble capturing with premier pro 1.5

Default trouble capturing with premier pro 1.5

After capturing video from a miniDV I get both sound and video that stutters severely. Not only that the capture stops on its own after ten minutes or so. The computer has 1 Go of ram.

Hmm, ten minutes of miniDV capture would be alomost exactly 2Gb by my reckoning. This just happens to be the filesize limit if your disk drive is formatted as FAT32.

open up Windows explorer. Right click on the disk drive where you are capturing to, and choose properties. The window that comes up will tell you the file format and how much disk space is actually used. You want the thing to say NTFS rather than FAT32. If it says FAT32 then that is almost certainly your problem. You need to reformat it (after backing up the contents of course) to NTFS.

Also, while there click on the 'Tools' tab and click the 'Defragement Now...' button and make sure you have a well defragged disk. This might help the stutter.

I've tried capturing it with four different programs. Always stutters. I read somewhere that sony cameras don't send well through non sony firewire cables. Going to ask the people it was rented from.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy
    I've tried capturing it with four different programs.
    All the more reason to suspect it's something generic like a defragged drive or file system type problem then. Read my reply again!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy
    I read somewhere that sony cameras don't send well through non sony firewire cables.
    Respectfully - this is bollox! I've never used a sony branded firewire cable and I've only ever owned Sony camcorders. Never had a moments trouble transferring.

for the studdering issue, your harddrive must be at least 7200 RPM's in terms of speed to be able to keep up with the incomming video stream effectivly
    freeformvideo.com: 3D Animated Menu\'s Transitions, Backgrounds or just about anything 3d all Animated.

Hi Jimmy

Apart from the 1Gb of Ram you have what else does your computer have under the hood?

i think the settings limit the capture to 600 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by robiferretti
    i think the settings limit the capture to 600 seconds.
    Premiere has a setting that stops capture after ten minutes? where?

I'll have to look it up later, i was playing with 3 versions of premier yesterday to try and fix my capture problem. I went through all the capture settings on all 3 versions. 6.5, Pro 1.5, Pro 2.0