Thread: Video clarity vs File size???

Default Video clarity vs File size???

Very cool fourms I must say! Lots of good stuff here, I can see this will be yet another forum I will spend my time at feeding my curiosities.

OK so heres the deal. I as well as another friend are making a video and we are well not new to it, however now we are trying to up the quality of our next vid. It's obvious that the cleaner the end product is the larger the file size and some of these sizes while testing different codecs are enormus to say the least. This is exactly what we need help with. Let me list a few details so you know how we are going about creating this vid and mabey that will help you out.

Footage: PC Game (FPS)
    Capture Software: Fraps
    Editing Software: VDub
    Post Production: Sony Vegas 6

The process goes as follows; first while we are playing we are caputuring with fraps simultaneously which in turn leaves us with a .bmp file, image the size its crazy. Then to edit and trim the fat and compress we pull the clips into VDub and apply the Indeo 5.1 codec. However this is where we are stuck, post production. First we dont know what would be best as far as project setup settings in Vegas and furthermore the best settings to use when outputting/rendering the video at the end. The problem is how do we keep the clarity of the footage however applying just a tad more compression to help the overall size of the finished piece?

Alright plz plz plz help it would really be much appreciated and from some of the stuff I have read from other members, there are more than enough ppl that know there stuff.

Thanks

Blog Entries

I suggest you use vdub to turn the captured footage onto a dv file. If you need a dv codec the panasonic one is free, can be googled.

Edit the stuff.

Render the best master version as a dv file.

Use this to make dvds if you are going to.

For net distribution render a .wmv version. 500kbit at 320 x 240 looks fine or 1.5 mbit 640 x 480 for dvd quality. I would stick with 500k as this will strem fine on most connections.

I will try that and thankyou for the help, a lot.

This will only be distributed online for friends and such and only available via download. Estimated total length 10 mins. and can be as much as 200mb. The problem is .WMV format seems to shred the quality of the end product. Im sure most will you WMP to view it but is there a way of not destroying the quality?

Ok i will go try this and let you know how it goes thanks again.

Blog Entries

.wmv really is one of the best compression formats. Use a bit rate of 1.5 to 2meg and it is as good as dvd and a third the bit rate. You must be using lower bit rates.

Thats true I guess I have seen nice footage.

So this is how it went dl the panasonic dv codec and installed it properly, or as stated.

However when I tried to save out of VDub (obviously I selected the dv codec for compression method) I recieve an error:

Now one thing I did state incorrectly though, was the format fraps applys to clips is avi, I believe its fraps own codec. I thought the older one left it at bmp but I must be wrong. Do you think this is causing the error?

Appreciate your time

Blog Entries

I think the problem is that the resoloution of the footage needs to be 758 x 576 for the dv codec.

You could resize using v dub or maybe use a different codec. Try turning the footage into a high bandwidth (several mbit) divx and editing that.

Will try that. I do like the Indeo codec as far as how clean the footage is after taking it through VDub. The problem lies somewhere in which format I am selecting initially in Sony before I pull the clips into it, and what I am selecting on output as a file format. However this like most things I will just have to try untill I find the right setup, and read, more. lol

I was trying things such as rendering with several different .wmv formats however the only ones that kept the clip clean was 3Mb and up, HD/HDV. Hence back to the same problem, enormous file size. I mean a 10min video would be 200-300MB, and the kicker, that doesnt include transitions, FX,......

BTW I noticed in game there is a HUD, that shows ammo counts, compass and such things. When the footage is captured and first compress by fraps, looks great. Once it is formated using Indeo 5.1, the HUD has a haze around it??? I can see in the center the clean text/chat and icons, however as I said they are blurred with a haze. Now when in the clip the player pulls up his scope that makes the background black (except the center where he is seeing through the scope) the HUD now up against a black background is clean, no haze.

Here is an example take note of the green HUD:

Now look how the green blurs:

Dunno the codec must be doing this this is why again I was searching for a different, better codec.

Try bringing the resolution of the game down. Visoe res for DV is 720x576 so when a runing a game at say 1280x720 it has to squash it all down.
    If u run the game at 800x600 u should get better results.

Wow lots a Marks here! lol

Makes tons of sense when discussing the effects of compression, however this will not be as "high res" and the overall eye candy the game offers at higher resolutions will suffer right? Yea I know Im a noob at this but trying to put it all together, I'm getting there!

Let me ask this though, the XVID codec actually looks better than the Indeo one (no HUD ghosting as mentioned before), and managable file size I guess, but now as far as the setup in Vegas would this be correct:

Template: NTSC DV

Render as: .wmv 3mb video

Or do you suggest some other, better method?

Also your opinion of the XVID codec would be appreciated....

Take care guys