Thread: Which gives a better small depth of view? VX2100 / DCR-VX200

Default Which gives a better small depth of view? VX2100 / DCR-VX200

I was looking at buying a camera to shoot a movie. I was initially going to buy the HDR-HC1 (Sony) camera seeing as how its 1080i. But I recently used the DCR-VX2000 at school and the ability to zoom with the zoom ring and ease of use with the big focus ring was very appealing. The vx2100 is $2300 and the price of the HC1 $1500 from j and r. Though the hc1 is more feasible in terms of my budget I was wondering if the vx2100 a better buy for my needs.

Is the vx2100 better at catching small depth of fields than the HC1? This is my main concern

Though the prospect of hd is nice... The ergonomic build of the VX2100 seems to be more appropriate for filming a movie. What do u think?

Blog Entries

Small depth of field is the holy grail of film making. Sadly it is hard to achieve on consumer camcorders.

For optical physics type reasons the larger the ccd the shallower the dof that can be achieved. Both cameras mentioned are .333 inch so the dof will be about the same, ie very large.

To minimise the dof always shoot with the aperature fully open, low f number. Try to move back from the subject and zoom in to frame. The more the zoom the smaller the dof.

Handling wise I am sure the vx would be nicer to use. Also ask yourself if you need hi def, how are you going to show the film? Hi def is also slower to edit.

I really love all of the VX cameras, but HD is quality you might want.
    Frank Sinatra - \"Thats Life, Biatch\"