Thread: Greyhound Racing

Default Greyhound Racing

HI, First off i know very little about camcorders so go easy on me. My parents have just purchased a local greyhound racing track. They need to be able to film the dogs as they cross the finish line and then take frames from the recording in case of a photo finish then print out the frame of them crossing the line. There are lights above the track. Can anyone suggest a camcorder for this?
    I am thinking it's probably going to be best to connect to a pc to get the frame and print it please correct me if i'm wrong.

Blog Entries

I dont think a dv camcorder is the tool for the job.

A mutt does about 20 m/s so that is about .8m per 25th of a second. That means you wont be able to get a reliable image of the dogs as they cross the exact finish line.

You need a 'real' hi speed camera I should think.

Before you get your parents to take out a second mortgage in order to buy any hi speed cameras, I would try the high speed shutters on any camcorder that is currently available (we're talking MiniDV and a sturdy tripod). I can't remember the exact setting for greyhounds, but the normal setting is 1/50th of a second so you would be looking at 1/500th or 1/1000th of a second. If you can experiment before hand and see which gives the best results then use it to get sharp pictures of the dogs crossing the line. The lights in the stadium may present a problem though as the camera darkens the image as the shutter speed increases, so you need much more illumination than normal.

Blog Entries

Yesss... my camera goes up to 10,000 sec but that is only every 25th of a second innit, so the problem remains, an image only every .8 meters travelled and huge rows from betting punters over who has won when the image captured is wonky.