Thread: doing alot of editing.. any suggestions on software..

Default doing alot of editing.. any suggestions on software..

hmm.. so i got (or am gonna get) the MiniDV as you all have suggested.. now wat???

i am still in my junior year of high school and i hav been given the assignment of making a video for the end of year banquet for the senior class... bare in mind that all these people are like 17 - 19 years old.. and being such, are looking forward to an entertaining video.. looking back on their 4 years of high school.. that is the overall situation.. for me to achieve my goal of making a movie like this.. i will need to do some serious editing.. collecting movie clips and pictures and compiling it so it makes a smooth flowing and enjoyable movie...

so my question is.. considering the massive amount of editing i have to do.. can u suggest a user friendly program that is reliable and has alot of features i can use to make my movie more interesting.. i noe alot of you will suggest iMovie but then i dont have Mac.. so to make it more simple.. wat is a program that is alot like iMovie for Windows XP.. especially need one that doesnt crash!! =p

hmm.. getting back to me asap would be greatly appreciated.......

thanks guys..
    ~Afur

Premiere Elements would be a good place to start I reckon. It's a slightly more user friendly version of its big brother Premiere Pro. Plenty of tutorials and a good manual too.

Being a fan of Adobe I would agree that Premiere Elements would be a good start.

I would also add though, that you seek advice or guiodance on good camera technique. Of course, you may already be an expert but it doesn't hurt to re-emphasise it. Things like....

Do not pan quickly around the room.
    Do not zoom while the camera is rolling
    Do not speak while the camera is rolling
    Find out how to hold the camera so that it doesn't sway around as you move.
    etc etc

4. Default

Personally, I would recommend Sony Vegas 6. I first started editing with Premiere, and although it's a great app, I'd say Vegas is much easier to pick up and start playing with, and the learning curve is much easier. I don't doubt you'll be able to put together something pretty cool with that. In my experience, it's also a lot more stable than Premiere. It runs quicker and renders faster on my setup also, and is much less of a memory hog.

Whatever app you use though, just make sure you have plenty of hard drive space, as it sounds like you will be handling quite a lot of footage!

Quote Originally Posted by Bananadude
    Personally, I would recommend Sony Vegas 6.
    i agree, although im a die-hard adobe fan, i would have to say that i learned the very basics on vegas, then went with fcp, then to prempro

vegas is very easy to pick up
    Mac G5 workstation with 4 gigs of ram, 4x250 gig drives in raid 5. High availability cluster server running centos for a server. 2xCanon GL2 cameras.

TuscSports.com

Blog Entries

Vegas every time. Intuitive interface, great k frameable effects and it will digest almost anything you care to bung on the timeline.

7. Default

Edius by Canopus. Not the most powerful program ever, but only until you really learn how to use it, and it's soooo user friendly.
    \"He\'s not as tough as he thinks he is!
    Neither are we.\" - The Sting

Blog Entries

Most of the s ware mentioned can be downloaded as a triel, suck em and see....