Thread: HDV importing & exporting quality

Default HDV importing & exporting quality

I need to put together a dvd for a trade show. I've filmed with a Sony HDV 1080 50i, in letterbox format & I'm editing with Premiere 1.5.1 (updated with the HDV plug-in). The trouble is that the imported footage looks cack! The resolution is awful, far worse than just using a litttle digicam. This stuff needs to be shown on a TV, or at least a monitor, how can I capture/export to the highest quality - the best exported clip is still only 1/4 of the screen, and it doesn't fill the screen. I've put these clips onto a test DVD and they're still small and retain a huge black boarder around them, so how do I get it to fill the screen at a crisp resolution? :( :twisted:

I used Premiere pro 1.5.1 for high def with no problems.

Firstly, start by using the appropriate project preset (I can't remember what they are all called offhand).

Once the project is initialised then do your captures. This will use the Cineform plugin whcih will result in very big AVI files (typically 45Gb per hour of captureed footage).

Edit these clips as normal.

The trick then remains a decent export. But basically, all you need do is export your high def timeline(s) in the same way you always do for making standard Def DVDs. You may export as SD DV AVI and encode using your DVD authoring tool (Encore?) or export as stanbdard def MPEG2.

There are many of us who recommend this approach to get the best SD DVD picture from you HD footage. Capture and edit high def and export to SD at the last step before authoring your DVD.