Thread: Premiere freezing when exporting

Default Premiere freezing when exporting

I'd be really grateful for some advice. I'm using Premiere 6 to make music videos (importing avi files captured via a Hauppauge tv card from dvd). My current project is just under 5 minutes long and I'd been exporting it without any problems until I filled each space on the timeline. It's now freezing at a certain clip (around 8600 of 9600 frames). I don't think it's a problem with the clip as that exports fine on its own. I don't think it's a space problem as I was able to export past that point before I'd filled that particular gap (if that makes sense). The audio track exports fine on its own too. I've just tried rendering the project instead of exporting and it sticks on the same clip with the message 'An error occurred while making the movie. Codec not found'.

I'm compressing using DIVX5.2.1 (I compress my clips in a separate project before importing them into the one I'm working on).

I've got 24.9GB of free space on the hard drive.

All advice very welcome!
    Sharon

I don't know why this would happen in Premier 6 as I've got Pro 1.5. But it may be the same problem if Adobe used the same source code for bits of the program.

Are there any dissolves or effects starting or ending at that particular frame? It could be them if there is. If so try altering the length of them.

Thanks for your reply, Chris. I didn't have any effects near that frame. I had one about six clips earlier which I've tried taking out but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

When I try exporting it, it doesn't actually freeze. It just slows to a snail's pace. The first three quarters of the timeline takes about 20 minutes to export (which is itself a lot slower than when I was using an earlier version of Premiere). When it gets to the clip that it sticks on, it slows right down. I left it exporting this evening while I was watching television and three hours later, it was still crawling along! If I left it overnight, I suppose it might eventually finish, but I'd like to be able to get round it if possible.

Sharon

Hmmm not sure on this one then. What about if you export or render just that one area that is causing problems?

You may have already tried this.

You could always try changing the clip to another one and see what happens then.

Thanks again, Chris. Well, I left it exporting all night and it did get to the end, but when I play the finished avi file (in Windows Media Player) it gets to the clip that it was slowing down on and that clip plays like a piece of jumpy vinyl (sort of stuck and shaking). That goes on for a while instead of the clips it should be playing, then it does the same on a later clip.

I've tried exporting the clip that it sticks on separately and it's fine. I've tried taking the clip out completely and it just sticks on the next clip.

I'm getting desperate!! I'm tempted to just bin the project but I've spent hours on it.

Sharon

This is a real shame that the software is failing to identify what is wrong. Without sitting in front of it I don't know what else to try.

Anyone else any thoughts?

when you go to export, go to export settings, i dont have prem open right now, but, there should be something about render first, check that, and a couple other quality settings, may be affecting you.... dont know though!
    Mac G5 workstation with 4 gigs of ram, 4x250 gig drives in raid 5. High availability cluster server running centos for a server. 2xCanon GL2 cameras.

TuscSports.com

Thanks for all your support and advice, guys. I rendered the final part of the project (the bit it was sticking on) and that was fine, then exported it and that was fine, too!

Thanks again
    Sharon