Thread: My moan up

Default My moan up

Hello everyone. I feel like having a moan. I am fairly new at video editing etc. so this isn't an old hand having a dig at the less experieced.

This is aimed at no one in particular so please don't be offended. Why does it seem new people on the forum can't research anything for themselves? Everyweek we see "How do I..." How much is.." "What do I need for.." This is usually prefaced with how they have looked through previous posts and found no answers. If I have seen the link to marcs page of guides once, I have seen it a thousand times! Any online shop will give a price of an article for no more effort than searching with google. Review sites can also be found this way to compare hardware.

What happens to many people that ask a question, get a few answers and requests for more info, but then just bugger off? There are only a few people that seem to answer most of the questions. That is down to their experience and greater knowledge. I wouldn't be able to give an answer that I would feel absolutely confident of to many questions on here, but have answered a few. It would be a shame if the regular contributors see this as I do and they get fed up of answering.

Anyway rant over! Am I alone in feeling like this? Have a great evening everyone.

Hmm. I do understand what you mean. Personally, though. I dont; really have a problem with it. I've seen any number of posts and though "Isn't that the same as question x a few days ago".

It's just human nature i suppose.

This is a relatively new hobby for me (last 3-4 months only). I'm a trying to take an active part in the forum, not because I think I know it all (If you've read any of my posts then you'll know I miss the mark sometimes). I feel that taking part and participating in the conversaiosn will help me with my hobby as well as allowing me to pass on what I have learned.

If people think this is wrong then let me know and I'll ONLY butt in when I know a defintive answer. I'm doing it for me as much as others.

As for the ask before looking thing. In a way I'm guilty of this at work. I'll explain. I'm a sofware develope of large corporate database (Oracle). I have, quite literally, a three foot high stack of development and design book s for my work. Often, rather than spend an hour trawling through these to answer a question, it is more 'cost effective' to just ask the team if anyone knows the answer. They mgiht reply with a terse RTFM but if soemone knows the answer the problem can often be solved with ten man-minutes of effort rather than an hours' effort of reading through the books.

No doubt this is a similar scenario to those who effectviely ask the same question as one from two days ago, still appearing in the 'current list'. I can live with it, even more so because no matter how much effort is taken producing comprehensive FAQs (and Marc's web site is first class as far as I'm concerend) people will still do this.

Just me 2p worth.

What do I need, how much will it cost? Bah humbug, use your own initiative, do some research - am I a sales rep for crissakes?

I'm thinking of buying X hardware at a cost of Y, does anyone know if its any good and is the price fair? Much better, I'll answer if I can.

I've just got premier, can anyone tell me how to capture? RTFM, oh whats that? Its a cracked copy and you have no manual. After all you dont spend £600 odd quid on software without knowing the basics.

I've just upgraded to premier pro and I find that my camera doesnt show up in device control, it worked fine in premier 6 can anyone help? Fine I'll do what I can.

Some people are just plain lazy - do you want me to edit your video for you as well as answer your innane question? Oooh yes please.

my rant over, sorry bout that folks.

tonga

Blog Entries

Yep, it's all so true. I really can't say much more than that

Hello again.
    Millsy, you were one of the people I had in mind with friendly, helpful answers so keep on helping the rest of us!
    I understand the point in asking usually being the quickest way of getting an answer. Your manuals and trawling through them is a bit harder work than looking up dabs website for a price though.
    You may have noticed that some of the repeated questions never get an answer. Thats why I thought perhaps the usual people who reply may be thinking "oh sod them!" As you can see from my post count I am reading and learning and only replying when I think I may be able to help. I wouldn't want to point anyone in the wrong direction and cause more greif when others could help far more. I would be lost without you lot!
    I guess some of what I was thinking was that if some of us can't be arsed to google for half an hour, what chance of any help given here being read and utilised?
    Thankfully my expectations in video are low. I have so little time, imagination and skill to produce anything like videos I have seen in the users own part of the board. But maybe one day!
    Have a great weekend everyone.

Don't get me wrong with what I said before. I'm not advocating laziness in any way. I too, simply ignore multi posts of similar questions.

I can just see a parallel to this issue with, environment at work that's all. The difference there is that we're all working to the same end at work and so it usually much more cost effective to find your answer that way.

On the forums, we're typically not working ont he saem project and so the line is easier to cross.

But, hey, I'm a live and let live kind of guy. If there's a question and I feel I can answer it or offer a point of view and I have time to do so then I'll chip in. It's as simple as that.

I agree with what others have said but I've also participated/subscribed to enough forums and usenet groups to know that the problem will not go away either. There will always be people opting for the easy choice, ask a question rather than see if the answer is already there. I'm likely guilty myself on occasion, when I;m not talking rubbish answering questions...