Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: File Size problems

Default File Size problems

Having a few probs burning my first DVD having spent weeks putting it all together.

After reading a few of the other posts on best ways to burn I thought I'd be a little lazy, render the whole project to avi and then leave DVD Architect to sort out video and audio etc.

One small flaw in my master plan ... the file is just too big to fit on a DVD ... which is a little puzzling I have to admit.

It is basically a 1 hour wedding video, nothing remarkably unusual or fancy about it. Full ceremony, full speeches with four or five musical montages thrown in for good measure. I can't for the life of me imagine why the size is as big as it is but I find it hard to believe that you can usually get two hours worth of stuff on an average DVD but my video is so much more complex.

Anyone any suggestions on how to get the file size down? At present it's around the 7gig mark (20 in avi).

All suggestions gratefully received.

Blog Entries

You need to lower the bitrate.

Blog Entries

Within DVDa you can lower the bit rate, which might get you somewhere near. You do it at the Prepare DVD stage,. It will inform you that your file sizes are too big and offer options to reduce the sizes.

Default Thanks lads ...

Cheers for that info ... can I just double check one last thing.

Before returning to the site to see if anyone had replied I set about rendering to Mpeg from Vegas to try that way round.

Common sense would tell me that there should be no difference but I thought I'd check first.

Will there be any difference in the ultimate quality of the finished product in either of these scenarios:

1) Use avi in DVDa, change the bit rate and let DVDa re-render
    2) Render to MPEG in Vegas and use in DVDa without altering the bitrate.

The editing side of things I'm picking up slowly but surely ... the more technical stuff (which I realise this probably isn't to those in the know) is taking a little longer to take route in the grey matter.

Blog Entries

Generally, Vegas does a better job than DVDa. Can't understand why, but it seems to.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Turn Media
    Generally, Vegas does a better job than DVDa. Can't understand why, but it seems to.
    Generation loss?

Blog Entries

Possibly, but I wasn't talking about Mpeg to Mpeg I was referring to AVI to Mpeg. Vegas just does it better. With DVDa doing it, I have found an interesting jitter occassionally.

Blog Entries

There could also be generation loss associated with AVI if the codec used was lossy, e.g DV. If you're using an uncompressed source, or indeed frameserving, then I would assume the result would be identical as they use the same encoding engine?

Default That was my theory

... Having said that the MPEG I rendered to in Vegas was still too big (Should have checked that bitrate first) so I followed the suggestion of rendering the AVI to MPEG in DVDa and as suggested above there was one section of the final version that seemed to jerk (immediately following a transition).

I'm going to have a go at getting the bitrate right, rendering to MPEG in Vegas and then tying it all up in DVDa.

It'd be fun if there wasn't a 2 hour wait every time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Turn Media
    Possibly, but I wasn't talking about Mpeg to Mpeg I was referring to AVI to Mpeg. Vegas just does it better. With DVDa doing it, I have found an interesting jitter occassionally.
    What is an 'interesting jitter' then ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast