Thread: how to remove time\date stamp on video?

Default how to remove time\date stamp on video?

Hi,
    I have a VHS tape with movie footage that has a time and date stamp thru most of it. I've also coverted it to a DVD. Does anybody know how to get the time\date stamp off or know who I can ask? I believe it can come off as I downloaded a lot of video editing software and was trying diferent ones. Something made most of the movie in an avi file but it was 52 G. Yes, 52 G file(it is normally about 6 G.)Now when I load that file into different programs the date\time stamp is still there. However, when I loaded it into Virtual Dub, the time/date stamp dissappeared but I was unable to save it. It seems there is a problem with the Virtual Dub. But in any case, it showed me that it is possible somehow but I don't know how to do it and I don't know how the 52 G file was created.
    Thanks,
    Chuck

If the date and time was recorded onto the tape then it's there to stay. It's part of the original recording and I don't know how Virtual Dub made it disappear as it is a very limited piece of software in my opinion. Have you downloaded After Effects? You could try blurring it on each frame, but that would probably take a while, I've seen it done on TV.

Thanks for the reply. I realize now that virtual dub didn't make it disappear. I wasn't vewing full screen so it was chopping off the bottom where the stamp is. :-(. Anyway I also saw about maybe masking over the area(overlay) with surrounding color. Is that possible? What software would have that capablity?
    Chuck

You've pretty much answered your own question here. No video editing application can 're-invent' the details underneath the words.

The best you'll ever achieve is to either mask the offending words with something else of your choosing or simply crop them off - much like your preview of Virtual Dub.

Blog Entries

I had the same problem once, I covered up the stamp with a 'gag' station ident.

Thanks for the input every one. I guess I was hoping the stamp was on another layer or something which I could just remove. Perhaps they should put it on another layer, so the layer could always be removed if you want.
    Anyway, is there any program which is best and easy at doing this masking, as I'm totally new at this and have only been reading on line about it?
    Chuck

I haven't tried this but give it a go and tell us how you got on. Play back the video that has the stamp on it and pause it. Then get a screen grab, take it into whatever imaging program you have and use it as a template to create a mask (black background and a white rectangle over the area where the offending stamp is). Then take the video into your editing program (you'll need one with multiple video or overlay tracks to do this). Put the video on one track and your masked still image on another track, depending on what software you are going to use, you'll have to make the still image stay onscreen long enough to cover the duration of the stamp appearing. You'll need to use the overlay, matte or keying effects if they are available to 'knock out' the black background and keep everything else.

edit studio 5 has a tool called Knock out for removing things like timecodes.

I have used it and the results are quite good depending on the footage. It works by smudging the picture around it to cover the colour that you choose, so you can see something has been removed, but it does give you manual controls so you can get the best results possible.

There is a trial version you can try at www.puremotion.com