Thread: Help me before I throw the PC through the window!!!!!!

Default Help me before I throw the PC through the window!!!!!!

Hi everyone, hope I am in the right forum, got a good one for you here......
    I am using ulead media studio pro 6.5 and trying to save back to mini-dv tape
    on a sony trv-25. I am getting an audio glitch at almost exactly every 5 minutes. In other words at the moment I cannot save to tape anything over 5 minutes.
    I have installed the update patches, researched for hours about background processes - switched nearly all the ones off I am able and still the same problem. It is driving me crazy.
    I know that windows xp likes to auto update every 5 minutes but I have disabled this function ( least I think I have) and still the audio glitches at exact 5 minute intervals.
    Has anybody had a similiar experience, and how did you overcome it.
    I'm wishing I bought a mac now, but please is there something I have overlooked????

Can you post back the exact method you are using to export to tape, as well as your system specs.

Also can you advise what File System your PC is using (FAT32 or NTFS).

Thanks

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Default my specs

I am using a pentium 4 cybermaxx pc designed for media work, with windows xp (service pack 1 only). 120 gb hard drive with 3 partitions ,
    2.66 ghz processor, 512 mb ram, NTFS file structure.

I am capturing from the sony trv-25 as dv-avi files and editing them in the ulead media studio 6.5 timeline, then creating (using create function in the software) a final avi file on a seperate external 80gb western digital hard drive(formatted for NTFS).
    Then to save back to camera using firewire, I am firing up the mediastudio software and clicking on export, where windows xp recognises my dv camera and ulead then takes control of the camera and sends the avi file back to tape.
    It is worth mentioning that when playing back my completed finished master edit on my machine as an avi file, it is perfect, no glitches!!! But the process of saving back to tape for some reason causes a problem like i say at regular 5 minute intervals. (although it can happen elsewhere aswell)
    Could it be the camera at fault??
    I appreciate your interest in trying to help, If there is anything I have missed off from my setup, just ask.
    Thanks

Thansk for posting back.

I think it is unlikely that the camera is at fault. Sounds more likely to be a glitch with the Ulead temp space. You could try the following,

CHECK PROJECT SETTINGS

Project should be set to AVI and PCM Audio to check take the following steps

1. Hold down the ALT Key and Press Enter

2. Set Edit File Format to Microssoft AVI Fiels and click Edit button

3. On the Compression Tab set Compression to DV Video Encoder

4. Click Configure button and set to Type-1 then click OK

5. Click Audio button and set Foramt to PCM and Attributes to 48Mhz 16bit Stereo (Although you may have to check the settings on your camera, you may have to set this to 32Mhz 16bit Stereo)

6. Take your movie to completion

CLEAR and re-set the ULEAD TEMP SPACE

1. File > Preview File Manager > Delete All

2. File > Preferences > and set the Temporary Folder to a folder on your second hard drive. Then fromn the Preveiw TAB,

3. Uncheck Option 1, check Option 2 and set to a folder on your second hard drive.

4. Re-create your AVI file and then try exporting again.

Good luck

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Default gonna give it a try

Thanks for your guidance pure jammy - I will try it over the weekend and post back to let you know the outcome.

Many thanks for your time - here's hoping.......

Default success!!!

Welll thanks for your help, unfortunately trying what you told me still didn't cure the problem - but on saturday night after scouring the net for people who had similiar problems to me , I discovered a miracle cure......WinDV.

It is a very small free program that has cured all my glitches, something to do with more memory buffering for capturing and saving back to tape.

I can definately recommend Win DV if you are having any audio dropout or any glitches. It has worked for me and I will be sending a donation to the creator who has made me a happy man after 18 months of frustration.