Thread: Need a Camcorder for filming a gig

Default Need a Camcorder for filming a gig

So i ve been asked to do some filming for a series of gigs for a gig company, problem is i dont have a good enough camcorder, i need some advice, factors to take into account are the low level lighting and strobe type lights. also my budget is about 500-600 quid which is a crap amount but might be more in the future im not sure. also these events will be no doubt be all day so i need to think about the different ways it saves to the memory, mini dv, harddrive etc
    appreciate any help
    Windows Xp professional
    DFI Lanparty nF4 SLI-DR
    Seagate 80gb SATA
    AMD Opteron 146 San Deigo - CAB2E
    Corsair 1024MB
    Edirol 24bit Pro Audio external Soundcard/ Audio Interface
    Nvidia XFX 6800Ultra 256mb

Stick with MiniDV as it will give you the best picture quality over all the other formats (hard disk, DVD etc). I'm a sucker for Panasonics with a 3CCD setup, maybe you might be able to pick one up for the budget you have.

thanks for the reply mate, i will certainly look into it. i did have a thought of letting out a few high quality camcorders jst for this event, then save up and get some better quality ones later.
    Windows Xp professional
    DFI Lanparty nF4 SLI-DR
    Seagate 80gb SATA
    Corsair 1024MB

Perhaps some of the other members of the forum could post some tips about filming at a gig. It is generally agreed if you can get one or two other people to help you who have the same model of camcorder it will give you more flexibility at the editing stage. For example, one camera can remain static on a wide shot (and record an unbroken audio track), another one can get close ups of the performers on stage and say a third can get reaction shots from the audience. Getting all three make a much better video but are very difficult to get if you are on your own. A good tripod, headphones, gaffa tape and being able to connect into the PA system also help.

I have filmed the odd gig here and there, and Nikosony is bang on the money. try and get 3 or even 4 cameras on the go, some static, one moving. don't neglect the sound when you film. you need to think about the natural sound of the crowd etc, as well as the sound coming out of the mixer.

thanks for your contributions, all very good ideas that i will plan into what need to do. I was thinking about having 3 or 4 cameras going, when i see the venues and rehersals then i can decide
    Windows Xp professional
    DFI Lanparty nF4 SLI-DR
    Seagate 80gb SATA
    Corsair 1024MB

Yes, it's a good idea to attend the rehersals and talk to some of the people involved. Find out what is possible and not possible on the particular day of the shoot. Where can you place cameras, store equipment safely, where are the power points, will it be possible to get a feed from a mixing desk etc. Take notes, bring along a taperecorder and maybe a small digital stills camera, the more info you can do on your recce the better prepared you will be on the day.