Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new to capturing etc. nearly there. need more advice.

Default new to capturing etc. nearly there. need more advice.

hello

ive got a pretty good pc, pentium 4 loads of memory etc so am confident my pc can handle this. ive connected digi camcorder to pc using firewire lead. as soon as i did this windows movie maker prompted me to capture so i did. i captured about an hour of digi footage. i noticed it was saved as a win media file tho, which wouldnt play on a normal dvd player. so i went into Easy cd/dvd creator, and made a dvd from there. no editing, just plain dvd.
    it took over an hour to encode, but then burnt to dvd and all was well. played on my player. it was a little 'blocky' or 'jumpy'. not free flowing video like youd watch on the tv, but i put that down to not capturing in dvd quality, only as 'best quality for editing on pc'.
    did it take so long to encode because it was a windows file and had to convert to avi or something? is there any free software which will capture straight to the file type that will burn staright to dvd? will easy cd/dvd software do this?
    i experimented again just now with windows movie maker, this time capturing as dvd quality. i read somewhere that you could fit about an hour of dvd quality on a dvd. my footage is about an hour so no probs i thought. hopefully it will be smoother on playback this time. however, it seems to have saved a file that is about 12 Gb!!!! isnt a dvd about 4.7Gb?
    how can this be if im supposed to get an hours worth on it?
    all i want to do is take stuff straight off my digi (dv) camcorder and put it on dvd. just family stuff, no fancy editing or voice overs. just something that the kids can stick on the dvd player anytime and have a laugh.

can anyone advise me better than my guesswork please?

cheers

Blog Entries

it took over an hour to encode, but then burnt to dvd and all was well. played on my player. it was a little 'blocky' or 'jumpy'. not free flowing video like youd watch on the tv, but i put that down to not capturing in dvd quality, only as 'best quality for editing on pc'.
    did it take so long to encode because it was a windows file and had to convert to avi or something?
    The simple answer to this is "yes". You're essentially taking a highly compressed video source to make what should be a video encoded with a less "lossy" codec. In effect you're going the wrong way - it's like taking a Robin Reliant chasis and putting a Ferrari shell on it.

experimented again just now with windows movie maker, this time capturing as dvd quality. i read somewhere that you could fit about an hour of dvd quality on a dvd. my footage is about an hour so no probs i thought. hopefully it will be smoother on playback this time. however, it seems to have saved a file that is about 12 Gb!!!! isnt a dvd about 4.7Gb?
    Sounds as if you've set WMM to capture to DV-AVI. A step in the right direction! You need to convert this to DVD compliant MPEG2. I use TMPGenc to do this, and then, if I'm not creating an fancy dan menus, use Ifoedit to create the DVD structure and finally Nero to burn.

Ok, I've mentioned to pieces of software you're probably unfamiliar with in TMPGenc and Ifoedit. To ease you into these apps, take a look at the 4th post in this thread: http://www.videoeditingforums.co.uk/...hlight=ifoedit

If you don't feel happy doing it this way, take a look at some of the DVD authoring apps in this section: http://www.videoeditingforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=548

There's also a few guides to DVD authoring at www.marcpeters.co.uk

plenty to read up on there mate thanks.

just a few questions from a novice. whats dvd authoring? looks like im going in right direction you say saving to dv-avi. yup, thats what i did. so the file SHOULD be 12 Gb or so then? thats normal? then you get an encoder to compress it into mpeg2 format? so is mpeg2 compared to avi like mp3 to cd quality?
    am i right in thinking that dvd's will play both types of file but avi is mebbes 10 times a bigger file? or near enough?

i really dont understand the words like codec etc. i was hoping to just capture, then burn. hmmm obviously not that simple.

is there any better capturing software that will cut down on the encoding etc? will Easy cd/dvd creator for example capture and burn to mpeg2?
    is it mpeg2 im aiming for or will mpeg1 do the same job?

thanks for your help

cheers

Blog Entries

An application such as Ulead MovieFactory will let you capture footage and burn a DVD in a few simple steps. I think you should really look at something like that. Try the free trial here: http://www.ulead.com/dmf/trial.htm

(you can get the basic for version for half the price)

so am i being unrealistic to think i can do this at no extra cost? i cant just use movie maker and Easy cd/dvd for instance?

cheers

Blog Entries

You can if you've got version 6. You need to author a DVD to make it playable in a stand alone DVD player.

http://www.marcpeters.co.uk/How-to-make-a-DVD.html

If you read the above and the link I suggested before, you should get a thorough understanding of what you need to do.

it IS version 6. ill read up and mebbes get back tomorrow. thanks a lot for all your help.

hello again

i read through a lot of that, but not being able to understand some of the processes is hindering me a bit.

correct my mistakes here please.

i can use windows movie maker to capture digital film from my dv camcorder.
    i can save it as dv quality, which will be avi file format.
    this 12Gb avi file (i hr of footage) can be squashed into an mpeg2 file of 4Gb or less by encoding.
    Easy cd/dvd creator 6 can do this task for me.
    i then have a 12Gb avi file, and a 4Gb mpeg2 file on my pc.
    i burn the 4Gb file to dvd and it will play on my home dvd player.
    i can delete the original 12Gb file now.

have i missed anything out here? obviously the editing maybe but thats a different problem.

i see everyone advising the TMPGEnc prog. which of my progs is bypassing that? movie maker or easy cd/dvd?

thanks a lot

i think you have missed out a step in the process.

Burning your 4Gb MPEG2 file to a DVD will simply give you a data disk with a big file on it. To have it play as a 'true' DVD in a set-top box you need to author a DVD, maybe creating menus but certainly translating your MPEG2 file into one or more VOB files (is this process called encoding as well anyone?) which need to be burnt onto a DVD disk in the right format (VIDEOTS and AUDIOTS ) directories.

ok thanks. but wont this still play? this is whats confusing me. trying to work out what file to aim for. im hearing IFO, ISO, MPEG2, VOB etc. and just getting confused.
    the first dvd i played with, i just captured in wmv file, then burnt it using easy cd/dvd6, which i assumed converted (encoded?) it for me.
    ive just looked at its properties and easy cd must have put 2 folders on it. video_ts and audio_ts. the audio is empty, and the video folder has about 12 files, some of which are .BUP, .IFO and .VOB.

it plays on my home dvd player, but not such great quality.
    so this next dvd im hoping will be better. i captured to dvd quality, resulting in a 12 Gb avi file. so obv needs compressing. am i right in thinking if it was a short clip, and 4Gb say of avi film, i could just get easy cd/dvd to encode and burn straight to dvd and it play ok? is it just the fact that its such a big file and it needs compressing thats the prob?
    so i compress to mpeg2 then encode to VOB? where does the ISO, IFO, BUP files come into it? my heads going to explode soon!!

thanks for sticking with me here!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast