Thread: Video & live music gigs Sony fx1

Default Video & live music gigs Sony fx1

Hi guys

I'm new to high definition video and have just aquired a Sony FX1. I know it is best to shoot in the HDV format and downconvert for standard editing, but how do I go about videoing my friends band in concert? Do I use the auto setting on the camera as I maybe moving around or should I use a tripod and use all the manual settings? Although I would like to plug the camera straight into the mixing desk for good sound, it's not always possable if your moving around. I'm cool with editing, but a little rusty as a cameraman

Any tips on the above would be most welcome
    Many Thanks

Johnny H

Hi Johnny ...

Yes, you should record in HDV and downconvert to SD on playback (there should be a law against recording in DV on an FX1 !!). Better still, edit in HDV with Prem Pro or Vegas and downconvert to SD in softwareif you can.

The problem with recording gigs is that the lighting is unpredictable and usually all over the place. Spotlights will tend to burn out faces unless you hit the backlight button which sometimes helps, or you switch the camera to manual. Controlling the exposure manually is not easy when the lighting is changing all the time and your on the move. Also with the FX1 you have to remember to set the shutter speed to a 50th, the gain to zero, and then adjust the iris until you can see the faces properly without burnout (the zebra setting helps). If you dont set iris/gain/shiiter speed to manual the FX1 will happily wind the shuuter speed or gain up and down while you twiddle the iris so you won't have full manual control. If you end up with the iris fully open and the image is still too dark then bring the gain up until you get the image you want.

If all this seems like too much trouble then just stick it on auto everything and use the backlight button then you can concentrate on capturing the action - the FX1 will cope. If you're not confident with the FX1 then stick it on a tripod, but the results will be pretty static and unexciting.

As for audio, plugging into a PA mixer can be a problem in terms of signal levels - use a beach box (an audio/mic adaptor for external soureces) if you can get one - this will allow you to adjust the output from the mixer so as not to overload the FX1s mic input - if you get the audio wrong then the whole video is ruined. Try making a separate audio recording that you can edit or dub to the video afterwards, or use any old DV camera to record the audio to DV tape - this make it much easier to synchronise the audio with the video when you edit the show., and you can blend the FX1 live audio with the mixer audio, which tends to be harsh and dry on its own.

Hope this helps - let us know how you get on.

GG

Default FX1 &live gigs

Thanks for that GG

I can't get and audio adapter, but could I connect a mini dv camera into the mixing desk without an overload? When refering
    to backlight, do you mean the spotlight setting? I'm trying to be relaxed about the shoot, so I may just use Auto and spotlight. If the shoot bombs then I'll learn from the mistakes.

Very useful infomation, thanks again

johnnyh
    Many Thanks

Johnny H

Yes - I did mean spotlight - sorry.

Its a matter of trial and error with the mixer. Plug some headphones into the camcorder - just try different mixer outputs (even the headphone output) starting with the level at minimum then increasing it until you get a reasonable sound. If that fails try the same with the FX1, but switch the MIC/LINE input to LINE in the AUDIO SET menu, and try auto or manual level control. Then you can use the other camcorder to record ambient sound to blend with the mixer audio, which will probably sound very raw.

Good luck

GG

Can you get someone else to video along with you? A second or even a third camera can come in very handy at the editing stage. If this isn't possible can you get the band to repeat any of their performances. I watched a television production crew recently taping some street musicians and they asked them to start and stop a number of times so they could be shot from different angles (don't know if that's possible with your own set up) and they also moved people around the performers to give the impression there was a large crowd there.

And one other thing. Don't forget high angle shots, low angle shots and The Dutch Tilt (a popular staple of any music video).

Default Dutch tilt

Thanks guys very good advice, but what is a dutch tilt? it sounds like a sex offence to me
    Many Thanks

Johnny H

Blog Entries

Dutch tilt is when you hold the camera way off horizontal. Used in films for a scary look.

When I first heard of a 'Dutch Tilt' I thought it was what happened to you after you spent too long in one of those coffee bars in Amsterdam (you know, lots of white smoke floating around...)