Thread: How to get that "pro touch"

Default How to get that "pro touch"

Hi everyone!

I'm currently working on a pilot, that I will present to one of Norways biggest production firms. The idea is what drives me, and I have a limited knowledge of video-production in general.

So my question is, how do I get that pro-look that makes the difference from home video to a film - and movie style look.

My guess is that something is done with the color or brightness, but are there any more factor that I need to take into consideration ?

Thanks
    Preben

2. Default

Easy, to get a movie style look, shoot on film!

Seriously, you're never going to get it looking as good as you want. Do you think if that was possible people would even bother shooting on film or expensive HD cameras? Look at films like Open Water or 28 Days Later. Both shot on DV, and they blatantly LOOK like they were shot on DV. If they could have made them look like film, they would have.

There are a number of filters you can apply in any video editing programme, but it's always going to look like video, no matter what you do. Maybe other people can give you some specific advice here. I don't know the names of filters and specific techniques to help you here, but I'm sure there are a few tweaks that may help you a bit. You won't get a miracle though.

You don't say what type of project this is. That does make a big difference. It's easy to get away with the video look if your project is suited to it. The biggest problem that occurs with most stuff shot on video is where someone is trying to do something that can really only be done justice on a far more expensive format. The 2 films I mention above are good examples - they work on this format. 28 Days in theory maybe shouldn't have worked, but the way they shot it did. The knew the limitations of the technology but pushed it to it's limits and worked within those boundaries.

That said, if your idea is amazing, it doesn't matter what you've shot it on. The quality will shine through. No-one is going to expect you to have shot on 35mm, but if your concept sucks, it wouldn't matter if you did.

I disagree.

While Bananadude has made some very valid and true points it is possible to get DV footage looking good. Unfortunatley it does rely on very presise lighting techniques when shooting and a shed load of post production manipulation. It can be done but it will be costly. No matter what format you are using, if you wanna achive that beautiful cinematic feel you have to pay for it.

I'll back up Bananadudr when he says it depends on the production. Short films and corp films can be done using DV-Cam and so on. Figure out what you are pitching for then apply the appropriate techniques.

4. Default

You're right on the production point - if you have a talented DP and lighting team, you can achieve some great things. I've seen some damn good DV work when it's been handled by people who know they're doing.

I was talking from an 'after the fact' position though, and once you have it in the can. If what you have is standard home video quality, then you're not going to be able to do a great deal with it. After all, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Preben, if you're still shooting (or about to start) the best advice I can give you is to get a professional DP, or atleast someone who is very experienced with the format you're shooting on and knows how to get the most out of it. You'll be surprised the difference this will make.

Just to add to all that aswell. Your original assumption is correct - you can lift shitty footage by adjusting the colour curves and brightness/contrast

Blog Entries

I have been playing with the look of footage recently and I have begun to notice how processed many films appear, often not subtle.

I agree with the comments about carefull shooting, shit in shit out and all that but I have been very suprised at how fottage can be made nicer to watch or processed to add another way of communicating to the audience.

Magic bullet suite is a lazy and expensive soloution but as Irish says paly iwth curves, brightness, contrast and it is suprising what you can do. Also fiddle with glow, saturation, blur, and try adding dark grades and stuff.

Default Thanks ya'll

I want to thank you all for beeing so nice, and taking your time helping me on this. I've shot the most important scenes on a standard digital camera (nothing fancy). So, my question should be , what can I do in premiere to get it a bit more convincing. The pilot has a chopper, some fancy cars and pumped music. So , the feel is good. But how can I add some yellow in the overall color ? In premiere that is ....

I think that'll do the project just fine.

Thanks again guys!!

//Preben

Blog Entries

Another thought, for that film feel you should deinterlace the video, but many ways of ding this cause 'jaggies' and they can look horrid.

I am sure there are a few 'clever' deinterlacers out there but I have found a vdub filter, smart deinterlace by donald graft to be excellent. It only dinterlaces parts of the video that need it, bits actually moving, and it usually leaves edges un jaggie.

Neither v dub nor the filter mentioned are that user friendly but the results are worth the effort, and it is all free.