Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony FX1 Downconverting

Default Sony FX1 Downconverting

Hiya guys and gals

I have the fantastic FX1e and predominantly shoot in DV. Having read numerous reports that shooting in HD and then downcoverting provides much better quality.

I suppose my basic question is how is this done through the camera i cannot seem to work it out. I am using Adobe premiere pro 2.

Cheers

James

Personally, I've also found the quality to be better if you leave the camera recording in HDV and then downconvert at time of capture.

This will have nothing to do with Premiere Pro 2. Simply start with a standard SD project in Premiere and do a capture as normal. As long as the settings on the camera are correct you PC will simply 'see' the FX1 as an SD camera.

To downconvert the footage on the fly at capture make the following settings on the camera.

1) press the 'menu' button on the back, under the eyepiece.
    2) Scroll down two items to find the "IN/OUT REC" menu by moving the scroll wheel.
    3) Select this menu by pressing the scroll wheel on the back.
    4) Scroll down to the "i.LINK CONV" option and select it
    5) Find the option "ON(HDV->DV)" option and select it.

Done. As far as your PC is concerned, you will now have a standard SD miniDVD camera connected to it. Of course, don;t do all this while connected. No doubt that would confuse things.

Job done.

BTW, good camera choice

What youreally need now is a copy of Cineform Aspect HD so you can edit your high def footage in real time.

Thanks alot Alan, am gonna try it right now.

Aspect HD is on my list and as soon as i get the cash it's MINE!

On the camera it's self it was actually one of your movies that you posted that made me buy it. The image quality of this is outrageously good. I cannot believe how good it is!

Thanks again

Will let you know how i get on

Regards

James

Just tryed it and it works a treat.

I must concer that the quality of the footage captured in this way is second to none! Slightly better than recording in DV to begin with.

Thanks again Alan

James

Quote Originally Posted by superkopite
    On the camera it's self it was actually one of your movies that you posted that made me buy it. The image quality of this is outrageously good. I cannot believe how good it is!
    I'm a little surprised at this. I'm not sure I've posted anything to the internet that comes close to the quality you can achieve with the camera.

By the time my stuff is posted it's usually downconverted into a more reasonably downloadable wmv file.

My personal recommendation is to leave the camera permanently on HDV. I use bog standard miniDV tapes, not the super expensive high def ones and I have not had a drop out yet that I've noticed.

Worth a watch is the "Hands On HDV" DVD for the FX1 And Z1if you get the oppertunity.

And I hope you have a decent tripod to mount it on. It deserves one.

yeah i have looked into the "hands on HDV" but it's like 80. I know it shouldn't really but 80 for a dvd seems quite a lot! A gonna get it though as like Aspect HD it does have a reputation that precedes it.

The problem in buying such a great camera isn't that it is so exspensive but that everything else is so god damned expensive! you can't just buy any old rubbish you have to do your baby justice and lavish it with quality!

I can't remember exactly what vid of yours it was that i saw, but it was something to do with Red. There was this shot at the beging where there was an extreme close up of your face and the level of detail was astonishing.

Regards

James

Actually, it's more like 60 UKP. That's what I paid from www.dvc.uk.com

If you think of it as 60 for a DVD then it is VERY expensive. However, if you think of it as 60 for excellent training in getting the most from your camera saving you hours, if not days, from your learning curve then it is really quite inexpensive and good value.

when you put it like that 60 is actually very good. Gonna have to wait till pay day

Just out of interest what type of case did you find for the FX1. I am yet to find one that i am totally happy with at an affordable price.

Regards

James

Quote Originally Posted by superkopite
    when you put it like that 60 is actually very good. Gonna have to wait till pay day

Just out of interest what type of case did you find for the FX1. I am yet to find one that i am totally happy with at an affordable price.

Regards

James
    Looks like we're back to that word 'affordable' aren't we? lol

I keep my FX1 inside a Peli Case 1600 model. My house might fall down but my camera will be safe under the rubble! They are that good. Oh, and they are waterproof and float too so you can use them as a liferaft!

You can fit the FX1 in a small Peli case but I have some other stuff in there as well.

edit: If you do look at peli cases then be aware that some vendors do not automatically assume you want foam in it. This may be extra.

Thanks Alan

I just did a quick search and found one for 120 that's actually very good compared to what i was looking at. The official Sony ones where scandalous, about 250 for a very similar case to this one.

Don't get me wrong i am by no means a cheapskate but i do begrudge paying over the odds for anything and to be honest i have been quite lucky so far, i managed to save a packet on lighting rigs.

Regards
    James

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast