Thread: HP systems unit fist or monitor first?

Default HP systems unit fist or monitor first?

I just wondered if anyone could tell me the answer to the following question. When switching on, do you switch the systems unit on first and then the lcd screen or is it the other way around? I own a HP t865.uk and after it being away twice to HP to 'get fixed' I am still getting a 'No Input Signal' and 'Bad Bios Checksum' coming up on the monitor screen everytime I switch on. This saga has been going on since November of last year and after getting it back a second time and still not working properly, I told the shop I was going to a solicitor to get my money back as they weren't going to hand it over voluntarily. They did offer me a replacement after much arm twisting and have a guess what it was... yes, another HP computer (so no thanks to that).

They now have one week left to respond to a letter sent by my solicitor and it looks like they aren't going to comply. So I guess it's going to be a day in Court for them, they are regarded as a reputable shop and not some back alley operators but after this latest fiasco, I'm beginning to think differently.

2. Default

It shouldn't matter what you turn on first. Sounds like there is some kind of video problem, possibly to do with the motherboard. If they've taken this into repair they obviously should have fixed it, so I understand your frustration. Seems like you have given them every opportunity to fulfil their obligation to help you.

What graphics card do you have? Is it on-board, or do you have a separate AGP/PCI card? Have a look at your BIOS settings - could be that the on-board video is disabled. You can access the BIOS usually by pressing DEL key as you boot up. If it's a separate card, maybe try removing it and putting it in another slot (if you have a spare one). A last resort would be to flash your BIOS - if you know what motherboard you have, their website will tell you how to do this.

It could be that you just have bad hardware though, in which case you definitely need to take this up with the place where you bought the PC, but they obviously don't seem too willing to co-operate. I'm certain your consumer rights entitle you to your money back. If the product is faulty, you don't have to accept a replacement, so you definitely have a strong case here if it does go to court.

Thanks for the reply, I've got an Nvidia Geforce 6600 with 256 mb ram installed on the computer. I went into the BIOS settings and the only things I could change belonging to the display where from PCI to PCI Express and something about letting the BIOS configure the hardware in the computer rather than the OS. After chaning both, I'm still getting this No Input Signal. I wish I could open the computer but either the shop or HP has put a little sealer sticker on the back of the computer and it also covers the side panel. So I guess if I took the panel off to put in another graphics card, the sticker would tear and if this fiasco goes to court (I've been told it might take 6 months!) the shop manager might argue I was messing around inside it. I've checked the connections, the pins on the plug on the cable (it's the small blue one as there are two other sockets on the back of the graphics card but I think the larger white one is for a second monitor and there is some kind of video out socket aswell - black, round and with 9 holes - I think).

4. Default

Taking this thing to court may be more hassle than it's worth. I think you have a case, but in the meantime you're left without a PC. It might be an idea to take a replacement if they are offering this to you. I doubt the same problem will occur. Have you contacted HP themselves? Perhaps if you explain the situation, they may be able to help you out. Explain the shop is being very difficult. It may even be a problem their tech department is familiar with.

If you can get hold of another monitor cable, try that out. Also try the DVI connectors on the GFX card. They will be the larger sockets, and have flatter pins. You can get a VGA>DVI cable, or you can get a little adapter which a VGA cable plugs into. Your graphics card may have even come with one. I would recommend you give this a go.

I've tried contacting HP and the first question they asked me was, was I a customer or a retailer? I said I was a customer and they said I was in the wrong department and I shouldn't have been given their particular number so they put me through to customer support and I couldn't get any help from them either. The reason? They don't exchange information between different departments. So no help from the service centre and no help from the so called customer support, I was back at square one again, my solicitor told me that my only contract is with the shop I bought the equipment from (their name is on the top of the invoice) and so I am wasting my time contacting HP.

The two weeks they are given to respond to the solicitors letter ends on Friday and I can't see them responding before then. Yes, they did offer a replacement but when I found out it had strings attached to it and it was of a lower spec than the computer I have and the abysmal service they had been offering up to this point, the chances of me taking it where slim as there was a strong possibility of me buying into more hassle. I've reached a point now where I looking to bring this shambolic affair to an end and cut my losses.

I'll certainly try those suggestions with the cable.

6. Default

You contract is indeed with the shop you bought the PC from. They are obliged by law to fix your system, and they are clearly in breach of that contract. I do not doubt you have a strong case, and I can't quite fathom why the shop is being so impossible. They don't have a leg to stand on legally.

See if you have any luck with the cable. If it is the cable at fault, that would explain why they sent it back to 'fixed', as I assume you didn't send the cable back, therefore they would have used their own and found no problem. If it's not the cable though, it must be a hardware issue, possibly something on the motherboard or graphics card. It's a shame you can't really open the thing up to swap out the graphics card. I don't think this would void your warranty or anything, but you don't want to give the shop ammo and make things more difficult for yourself if it does go to court.

Have you thought to contact the likes of Which magazine and/or programmes like Watchdog? I am not sure if this could conflict with your legal proceedings, but getting someone like that on your case could yield results. I've seen things in Which magazine like this before, for a whole range of products, from customers who have been screwed over. I'm not saying they'll do anything for certain, but it may be worth a try. You're clearly being shafted here!

Keep us posted...

I would have liked to have tried a differnet cable into the monitor but it is securely attached to the back of the monitor and there is no way you can pull it out. I remember hearing a few years ago about the so called 'sealed box computer', I can't remember if it was Compaq or HP that was flogging them, but it seems every avenue is closed. I can't attach a differnet cable to the monitor, I can't open the case as it will tear the sticker, when I did connect up a different monitor the computer threw a wobbler and had all these error messages onscreen. I'm really suprised there are so few changes I can make to the BIOS settings in terms of changing the settings of the graphics card. HP said it was replaced on both occassions (presumably with another broken one) but the problems still persist. I haven't seen the BAD BIOS CHECKSUM recently, which is even more puzzling. Even when the batteries ran out in the mouse and keyboard that came with the computer and I borrowed a keyboard and mouse from another computer so I could continue working, that also caused problems. From my experience, once you buy a HP computer, you are stuck like superglue to using only HP hardware and software. I will have word next Wednesday as to whether legal proceedings are to begin.