Thread: How do I find this?

Default How do I find this?

Hey guys... I am wondering what the rules are for using short video clips from TV you may record (like CBS, ESPN, TBS, etc) and also using soundbytes from radio shows and TV shows. What exactly is allowed as far as copyrights, etc?? When I listen to talk radio shows, they always have soundbytes they pull from tv shows that air on cnn, cnbc, msnbc, foxnews, etc. Also, I see on some tv stations using short clips occassionally of things from other tv stations. Obviously you can't copy the whole thing... but what exactly is the ettiqutte/rules here? Thanks for any help or pointing me in the right direction! Thanks!!!

Blog Entries

Unless the resulting work is for financial gain I dont think anyone actually cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W
    Unless the resulting work is for financial gain I dont think anyone actually cares.
    not necessarily. in most cases, you're right. but all it takes is 1 company, artist, etc. to complain and that's it...you're jacked!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W
    Very far out there Mark.

TV stations have reciprocal arrangements for screening other's clips etc. As Jumalian says, you're well and truly in trouble if you are found to have used a station's footage without permission. Some broadcasters demand fees, some will allow limited useage free, but you MUST seek permission to be legal. The BBC have just introduced a limited useage license that allows certain wildlife footage to be used in a non-commercial way, but that is the exception rather than the rule.