Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New - Massive filesize, tiny length

Default New - Massive filesize, tiny length

I'm new to this whole sector. The only previous experience I have is creating a backup DVD to work on a DVD player.

But now I'm endeavouring to start something much bigger. I recenly bought Fahrenheit the game and noticing how movie-like the story is, I decided to make a movie out of it. I have Fraps to record it, that bit's sorted. But I need to edit the resulting AVI to get rid of the mistakes I've made and loading screens.
    I've been testing it out with the demo of Fahrenheit, recording it was easy and using 'Video Edit Magic 3' (If that means anything to anyone), editing was slightly harder (but better than I imagined). Using the editing software, I put the dimension to 640x480, the Vid compressor to DivX 6.0 Codec and Audio compressor to MPEG Layer-3 (I started to lose track around this point )
    I know this would take up a good 7 hours of play time, so I knew the quality wouldn't be very good. In the bitrate section of DivX, I put 7 hours and 3 1/3 of a DVD-R (that would take up all the disc, right?)
    Doing all this gave me an AVI at 85mb for 10 minute footage...that was OK.
    BUT, when I used the Boilsoft AVI to DVD Converter program...it cranked the size up to 741mb. That would take up quite a few DVDs to get 7 hours on it. I have no problem with using mulitple DVDs if I have to, but 741 MB for 10 minutes?! How do professionals cram decent lengthed movies AND special features onto DVDs when I can get around an hour's footage on mine?

Is there anything I can do to make the size smaller? An 85 AVI was OK, but for the size to shoot up like that? Maybe there's some other programs you could direct me to which'd make it easier?

Sorry if this seems confusing...maybe it's the fact I don't know what I'm talking about.

It's the file type that is the problem DivX is a highly compressed AVI, which is good quality from a bitrate of about 600kbps up, depending on content.

DVD uses MPEG2 and this has a good quality from about 3500kbps up, once again depending on the content, and encoder.

To get 7hrs on 1 dvdr you would need to encode the MPEG2 stream at about 1300kbps and even with VBR encoding, this will look like crap.

How are you looking to play the video back?

If you want to playback on a pc then leave them as divx and back them up to a dvdr as data.

If you want to play them back on a dvd player you will get 3hrs reasonable quality per disc in MPEG2 encoded at a bitrate of about 3200kbps and mp2 audio of 128kbps, use VBR encoding to maximise disc space and to help keep a higher quality picture during fast moving scenes.

If possible try outputting to MPEG2 for dvd from the editor and this will remove some picture loss, because it is 1 less layer of compression, and will also save alot of encoding time.

Quote Originally Posted by miwhel
    If you want to play them back on a dvd player you will get 3hrs reasonable quality per disc in MPEG2 encoded at a bitrate of about 3200kbps and mp2 audio of 128kbps, use VBR encoding to maximise disc space and to help keep a higher quality picture during fast moving scenes.

If possible try outputting to MPEG2 for dvd from the editor and this will remove some picture loss, because it is 1 less layer of compression, and will also save alot of encoding time.
    OK, I'll see about getting that done. What should I put the framerate as? And do you think the video dimension 640x480 would be OK on a TV, or should I upgrade?

PS, what's VBR encoding? The program I'm using, Video Edit Magic 3, doesn't seem to offer it.

dvd res needs to be 720 x 576

www.videohelp.com

Go here it will help you to understand more about different file types and converting/encoding.

I can get VBR with an MPEG 1 but not 2.

Is there a better editing tool I could go and buy/download?

I created the demo again using MPEG2 rather than DivX, using 3200 video bitrate and 128 audio bitrate. The file size was 600MB, and WMP had trouble playing it. Should it be 600mb for 10 minutes?

Widely regarded as 1 of the best Mpeg encoders is TMPGenc. It is fully featured giving you access to other mpeg tools and settings to improve picture quality, and quite easy to learn as there are many tutorials on the net.

Its free to download but there is a small fee to cover the MPEG2 license.

There is also TMPGenc Express which is a commercial version, which has a more friendly interface and hides all the scary stuff away, but I think all the options are there if you go looking.

Try them both, there will be links in the videohelp.com tools section

600mb for 10 mins is way to high, in some software the bitrate is entered in mbps not kbps so check that and be sure it is MPEG2 for DVD and not just mpeg2.

Don't worry about WM player not playing your files well. If you have a software dvd player on your system try opening the mpeg2 files in that.

As you say video edit magic doesn't give you any options for MPEG2 this may change if you reg the software, but I did output 10mins to DV and then encode with TMPGenc to

mpeg2 dvd VBR at

3000kbps avg

6000kbps top

128 kbps mpeg audio

and the file size was 226mb and the quality was good.

If you are recording game play, you will get away with the lower bitrate because there will be less colours than true life video, but still might get a little grainy on fast action sequences.

also go for the best quality you can from your capture software,(DV is good for editing) the file sizes will be big, but you can delete the clips after you have produced the edited version.

Win movie maker will do the editing you require and export back to DV, and then you can encode to MPEG2.

In the sub 100 price range you can probably get something a little better like premiere elements or serif movie plus 4(no trial version unfortunately ) and DVDlab standard is a good DVD authoring app.

So to get DVDs to play on a DVD player, I only need two files, a WAVE and M2V file? With my other AVI to DVD converter, it made three.

Yes that's about it, or a multiplexed .mpg file which is the 2 streams mixed together.

To get maximum compression go for .mp2/mpa or .ac3 audio at a minimum of 128kbps any less and your really pushing your luck, in fact some players won't playback less than 128kbps and some new players won't playback .wav at all.

I've got another problem, again with the size of the files.

I've got underway with recording the game and everything's running great except for one thing...I'm running out of room on my HDD. Fraps, my game recorder, gives me 5 minutes 39 seconds of game time before another file is created to continue on. The problem is, these 5 minute files are 3.40 GB big. Completely uncompressed.
    I've come to the conclusion that as soon as I finish recording one 'chapter', I'll have to compress the file (dunno why I didn't do that in the first place). But what should I use as a balance between quality and space? I know what's been said here is for MPEG 2 format, but I'll need this in AVI if I'm to edit it later on;

-I think I'm safe using 720x480 resolution
    -But what about the video compressor? If DivX is out of the question, what are my alternatives?
    -Framerate 30, yes?
    -How about an audio compressor? What should I choose for that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast