Thread: Capturing and editing frames from mpeg movies

Default Capturing and editing frames from mpeg movies

Hi

I am completely new to this and feel I am missing something entirely- I have spent today downloading software packages left and right in order to edit mpeg movies. I was, at the beginning of the day, quite enthusiastic about becoming proficient at editing and was looking forward to buying my first digital camcorder and hopefully getting quite serious. I therefore though I would dabble with some of the clips from my digital camera and edit them.
    However, although I can add to the software, I don't seem to be able to split into individual frames like here:
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/video-editing5.htm

Although I couldn't get adobe premiere pro to work on either pc have tried Ulead studio 9 and Adobe after Effects though I know now that that is probably not needed.
    Do I need to convert it to DVD format and then edit it and then change it back? Sounds a bit long winded or should I get adobe premier 2.0 but not the pro version which didn't seem to work- maybe my pc's are too old.

Basically all I want to do is take out boring bits and then maybe loop more exiting bits to make them longer and piece together. I still don't think it should be that difficult and am therefore left thiking I am not cut out for it and should stop now. There is certainly far more to learn than I could ever imagine.
    Any help or tips on good articles to read or software or what I should be doing would be gratefully appreciated.

thanks

Tom
    useless but a quick learner

I'm guessing you mean you've downloaded the trial versions of programs with the intention to buy them :-P

Anyway, tell us the specs of your PC.

Hi

Yes-was really trying to get a feel for some software and what works before going out and buying as some packages are more user friendly and some have faster engines but not really been impressed with any- could be as they are not full spec or because I'm trying to do something they are not meant to but am also wary of buying at the moment if its something i am not cut out for or my pc needs sorted first.

pc spec is:
    1gb RAM
    1.84gHZ AMD which could be overclocked if I get some more 3200 RAM
    MSI K7N2 Delta DDR400 motherboard
    Radeon 9550 Graphics card
    PCI firewire
    80GB ATA with OS XP
    250GB ATA
    DVD Burner
    DVD ROM

I would have though it would be up to the job but maybe the motherboard and processor are too old

I think i've solved it- as it's socket A it doesn't support sse2 and sse3. I will need to upgrade motherboard and processor. Would like to keep my ata drives and agp graphics card to keep costs down but was thinking of an amd939 and perhaps a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 SKT939 NF3 250gb 8channel audio AGP8x for a motherboard. Or would pentium 4 be worth the premium?

sorry one quick thought is if anyone knows any older software versions that would do the job at the moment and don't require sse2,3. That way I can buy them rather than upgrading pc for time being and put more money towards a camera- not ideal easier

There is plenty of sub 100 editors about that are less fussy about SSE instructions, but are still very capable.

Your pc has life in it yet.

If you get the bug, you can upgrade later.

You indicated that you wanted to cut out the boring bits, well windows movie maker will do that, and capture from camcorder, and capture from capture card if it's fitted, and it's already on your pc.

Hi- yes thought upgrading pc was sounding extreme. I have had a look around and found some packages but have also looked at windows movie maker- had totally overlooked that- had thought it was some kind of gimmicky nero burning package of microsoft and never even opened the application but how wrong could I be. This will suit my fine I think while I learn some technique and then worry about more advanced things so thanks very much for that