Thread: Exporting to DV problems

Default Exporting to DV problems

Hi everyone. I am having a problem exporting out of Adobe to my dv camera. I did a search of the forums and didn't find any solution so I figured I would ask the guru's themselves.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I have the footage on my computer in .avi format (640x480 resolution.) I am then bringing that footage into p6.0 and dropping it into the video 1a. I do the whole timeline preview thang in order to make the .avi work.

I then use the Export to Tape and have it export to a specific spot designated by the timecode. (Yes there is timecode on the dv tape I am trying to export to. )

It does the preroll and cues up to the correct part of the dv tape and then previews on the PC monitor just fine, but nothing goes on the dv tape?

Also I note that sometimes on the "program" side of the monitor windows there is a little white box with an x in it on the top left corner of the footage.

I am quite new to this whole video editing thing, so thanks in advance. Also let me know if I was unclear on anything and I will repost.

Default manual record

Hey,

What camera make/model are you using?

I use a SONY PC-120E and until PPro 7 came out, I had to do the following with P6.0/6.5:

1. Switch the camera to 'VCR' mode

2. Press the 'Record' button on the camera (not the 'Record' button you use when you record in 'Camera' mode)

3. Sit back and relax!

P6.0/6.5 didn't have the correct DV controllers for my camera model, so I had to press 'record' manually on the camera to 'export to tape'.

I'm assuming your camera has DV->IN, right? It is capable of recording from firewire?

dVdA

You mentioned a box with an "X" in it. Have you rendered your movie? If you haven't, there should be a red line above any section of your movie in the timeline that needs to be rendered. I also thought that DV format is 720X480?

i used to have problems with that but my computer got rebooted and it stopped... sorry i cant help
    Frank Sinatra - \"Thats Life, Biatch\"

i'm a new editor andi don't know if this will help. When you render your timeline to video. Before you start the process, you can change the format you want the video in. One of the option is "DV avi". I haven't tried putting my vidsd back on my camera yet but I thought that it had to be in that format. Did you do this already?

hi there, I think you need to out-put your file as a DV avi (either PAL or NTSC depending on your location), import that file back into premier and then export it to DV camera.

tonga

Quote Originally Posted by alaskavideoguy
    You mentioned a box with an "X" in it. Have you rendered your movie? If you haven't, there should be a red line above any section of your movie in the timeline that needs to be rendered. I also thought that DV format is 720X480?
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwork04
    i'm a new editor andi don't know if this will help. When you render your timeline to video. Before you start the process, you can change the format you want the video in. One of the option is "DV avi". I haven't tried putting my vidsd back on my camera yet but I thought that it had to be in that format. Did you do this already?
    Quote Originally Posted by tongachutt
    hi there, I think you need to out-put your file as a DV avi (either PAL or NTSC depending on your location), import that file back into premier and then export it to DV camera.
    tonga
    You three were all right. I had NOT rendered it yet and that was my problem. Here is what I did to rectify that (just in case someone else has similar problems.)

1) I took the raw footage that I had in .avi format and broght it into a new Premier project.
    2) I then went to File> Export Timeline >Movie
    2a) Go to the setting button and make sure that the "File Type" is Microsoft DV avi.
    3) Name the File whatever and put it somewhere.
    4) After it is done rendering open a new Premiere project and Open the file you just named "whatever" in step 3 and bring it into the timeline.
    5) The only way I could get it onto my DV tape was to File >Export Timeline >Export to Tape and then check the "Activate recording deck" option and use the "Assemble at timecode" and then put in the timecode on my tape where I wanted it to start recording to. I had the camera in set to VCR and prestriped the timecode by recording a bit of blank footage. I put the preroll at 20 frames for the hell of it.
    6) then hit record.
    Worked like a charm!!

Quote Originally Posted by dVdA
    Hey,
    What camera make/model are you using?
    I use a SONY PC-120E and until PPro 7 came out, I had to do the following with P6.0/6.5:

1. Switch the camera to 'VCR' mode
    2. Press the 'Record' button on the camera (not the 'Record' button you use when you record in 'Camera' mode)
    3. Sit back and relax!
    P6.0/6.5 didn't have the correct DV controllers for my camera model, so I had to press 'record' manually on the camera to 'export to tape'.
    I'm assuming your camera has DV->IN, right? It is capable of recording from firewire?
    dVdA
    I am using a DCR-TRV33. I tried to use the File >Export Timeline >Print to Tape and Exprot to tape without using the "Activate recording deck" feature and then just hit the record button, but for some reason it would not record. A big "FULL" and a box with a line through it came up on my camera's screen. *shrug*

Thanks for the help everyone!